Ethical policy and guidelines for the acceptance and refusal of donations and research and enterprise funding
The University of Leicester has an obligation to conduct its fundraising, research and enterprise funding, and its relationships in an ethical manner. Due diligence is observed when assessing whether to accept significant donations or to establish specific philanthropic relationships.
The purpose of these guidelines is to allow members of the University Council and the staff who support them to make clear and consistent decisions regarding the acceptance or refusal of donations and funding. These guidelines are to be observed by all staff of the University of Leicester engaged in these activities on the University’s behalf.
The guidelines consist of the following documents available below, which should be read together:
The University's Donor Charter
(The full Donor Charter forms part of Document B in Appendix 4)
The University of Leicester is dedicated to treating its donors with the highest level of care and respect. Leicester is an institution that since its very beginning has relied on philanthropic support to advance its mission and sustain academic freedom. Such generosity allows intellectual curiosity to flourish, leading to breakthroughs that can benefit us all and help to maintain Leicester as a world-class teaching and research university.
At the University of Leicester we will always:
- Inform donors of the way we intend to use donated resources and of our commitment to using donations efficiently.
- Keep donors updated about the impact of their philanthropy and the University’s evolving needs and priorities.
- Provide the University’s most recent published financial accounts and other relevant financial information in an easily accessible format online.
- Respect donors’ rights to privacy and fully comply with the Data Protection Act 1998.
- Appropriately acknowledge, recognise and publicise donations in consultation with donors, and respect anonymity where requested.
- Provide progress reports and updates to donors on supported activity.
- Ensure donors have access to the DARO Complaints Policy.
How your donation will be used
All donations, when undesignated, will be used for such purposes as the University judges will best advance its academic priorities.
- Where the donor wishes to express a preference for the application of their donation, the University will take the greatest care to ensure that such wishes are carried out.
- Where the donor restricts the application of their donation, the University will apply the gift to the purpose originally intended. The academic priorities of the University will change from time to time. Should this happen, alternative uses for restricted donations will be discussed with the donor or the donor’s representative (if alive).
- All donations will be acknowledged promptly.
Read more about the University of Leicester's charity status.
If you require any further information or have any queries relating to the policy and guidelines please contact:
Nicholas Katona, Director of Philanthropy
+44 (0)116 252 2466