Why study English at Leicester?
- Student satisfaction: Our students describe their courses as stimulating and enjoyable. As one student commented, 'I have really enjoyed the range of texts we come into contact with throughout the course, as it allows students to gain a comprehensive awareness of English Literature throughout history' (NSS 2017).
- Breadth of coverage: Our degrees cover both literature and language, with staff expertise ranging from Old English to the present day. This means that you will graduate with a thorough knowledge of English literature from its beginnings through to the globalisation of English in the twenty-first century.
- Personal teaching: Students are taught each week in seminar groups of about fifteen - an ideal size for detailed discussion of the issues raised in lectures and for the close reading of set texts.
- Research-led teaching: Our lecturers publish on their specialist subjects meaning that your teaching will be informed by the latest groundbreaking research.
- Careers and employability: We rank very highly for graduate prospects among other UK universities which teach English. Throughout our degrees, we provide careers sessions especially targeted to the needs of English students. Our graduates have an excellent record of securing jobs in diverse, competitive fields - indeed, 97% of students are in work or further education six months after graduation (Which? University/DLHE and HECSU: English Studies (non-specific)).
- Study abroad opportunities: You can spend a year abroad at a prestigious university in countries such as France, Italy, the United States, and Germany. Subsidised language tuition is provided in preparation for your year abroad.
- Extra-curricular activities: The Annual Creative Writing Lecture brings major authors to campus to talk about their work. English students are active in student theatre, radio and print journalism. The English Society, run by students, organises events such as creative writing classes, theatre trips and the grand end of year ball.