Why join LIGHT?
- Free Certification course taught by experienced professionals
- Learn about homelessness and health issues
- Use your knowledge to help homeless people improve their health
- Learn about health promotion aimed at recovery
- Gain organisational and management skills
- Engage in meaningful volunteering
- Obtain a certification of completion
All students gain certificates for their ePortfolios.
Aidan Halligan Prize
Leicester Medical School has an annual prize giving event led by the Dean for service to the community: The Aidan Halligan Prize, in memory of Dr Halligan.
This prize is aimed at years 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 Medicine (MBChB) students, who are recognised as showing leadership, initiative and commitment to working with the underprivileged. To be considered, students should provide a written statement (maximum of 500 words) to state why they are worthy of the prize. The winner is decided by the Head of the Medical School, with either the Dean or Deputy Head of School.
Volunteers must complete our training course. The courses take place in the George Davies Centre, Lancaster Road, University of Leicester LE1 7HA on Wednesdays, 5.00pm - 7.00pm. The sessions are informal with light refreshments.
- Introduction to homelessness
- Mental health and homelessness
- Communication skills in inclusion health
- Physical health and homelessness
- Substance misuse and homelessness
- Managing difficult situations
- Red Cross first aid training
- Special annual awards event
Trainees receive a certificate for completing the course. We keep in touch with volunteers through emails, meetings and socials. There is certificate presentation for volunteers each December.
If you would like to join us, please email to register for free at ProjectLIGHT@leicester.ac.uk.
Service providers looking for student volunteers
We work with many service partners who support and care for individuals experiencing homelessness in Leicester.
For general inquiries about becoming a service provider partner email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have completed the Project LIGHT volunteer training, you are eligible to apply to volunteer with our service partner organisations in Leicester.
To learn more about current opportunities to volunteer, email email@example.com. A Project LIGHT team member will contact you regarding your request.
When you agree to participate you will:
- Volunteer to run health promotion and advice sessions and other activities
- Work with other students
- Learn about topics which will help homeless people
- Work with a local service partner who provides services to individuals who are homeless.