Work experience placements
Unfortunately, due to these unprecedented times we are currently experiencing, we are unable to offer on-site work experience placements during this academic year. If you wish to speak to a member of the management team to receive an overview via a telephone call of the work carried out in the Preclinical Research Facility, please contact Helen Emery.
Work experience placements can be offered between 1 - 5 days during a working week. This is aimed at students particularly studying sciences at A Level. However, if students have a particular interest in working with animals in a laboratory environment we would also be happy to accommodate such requests.
In February 2019, a student in their second year of A Levels had an interest in Genetics and spent a week with us. During that time, they received the following experience:
- full induction that included health and safety requirements and tour of the facility
- shadowed animal technicians with a number of difference species: rats, fish and rabbits
- learnt how to health check an animal and helped in tasks such as replenishing water bottles
- tour of the imaging facility
During the summer of 2018 we were joined by a student studying veterinary medicine for a week's work experience.
See what they had to say about their work experience placement:
Two students (GCSE and A Level) joined us in July 2018 to gain some experience in working in a research environment for the day. They covered the following:
- introduction on the law and ethics regarding using animals in research
- health and safety
- introduction to the imaging facility
- full tour of the unit
- transgenic services information
- spent time with technicians in the rat and fish rooms