On Campus and Online Presessional
Presessionals in term 3 (12 April start) will be delivered fully online. This will allow students to progress their studies despite the restrictions currently imposed in the UK.
Summer presessionals (starting 5 July and 2 August) will offer students the choice of two modes of study:
- Our On Campus Presessional provides a traditional classroom-based learning experience.
- Our Online Presessional is delivered fully online, and offers the students the convenience of studying at home, without the need to travel to Leicester
The availability of On Campus presessionals is dependent on the ongoing Covid-19 situation in the UK.
Structure of the On Campus Programme
- 21 hours per week of classes. Morning classes every weekday (e.g. 9.30am -11.00am; 11.30am - 1.00pm). Three afternoon classes (e.g. Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, 2.00pm - 4.00pm).
- 15 hours per week of self study.
Structure of the Online Programme
- 9 to 12 hours of live video classes per week, taking place between 8.30am and 1.00pm UK time. Attendance at all classes is compulsory.
- 25 hours per week of guided independent study.
What are the advantages of the On Campus Presessional?
- Meet classmates and teachers in person.
- Access to university buildings and facilities, such as the library, Students' Union and sports facilities (dependent on local Covid restrictions).
- Study in an English-speaking environment.
- Familiarise yourself with the University, city and local culture.
What are the advantages of the Online Presessional?
- More flexibility in the admissions process and entry requirements, such as the larger range of acceptable English language tests and exams.
- Study at home, saving money on accommodation, taking IELTS tests and visa fees (a Student Visa will be required if you subsequently come to the UK).
- Schedule your independent study at times convenient to you.
Features of both On Campus and Online presessionals
- A personal tutor to guide you through the module in one-to-one tutorials.
- Small class sizes - learn through interaction with the tutor and other students.
- High-quality learning materials.
- Development and practice of reading, writing, speaking and listening skills.
- Develop knowledge of your academic area and learn how to write an academic assignment (Modules D and E).
- Learn about UK study culture.
There are different entry requirements and application deadlines for On Campus and Online presessionals. On Campus students will need to apply for a Student Visa, which requires a suitable English language test. Please email email@example.com if you are unsure whether you can apply for the On Campus presessional.