Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults
The industry standard language teaching qualification is now being offered by the ELTU.
The Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults (CELTA) has been the most recognised initial qualification in English Language Teaching for over forty years. Whether teaching in private schools in Spain, Poland or Thailand or the UK, the Cambridge CELTA gives you access to robust contracts with reputable providers.
- Includes real teaching practice as well as input sessions
- Recognised worldwide by everyone from the British Council to the University of Leicester
- Small groups for personalised tuition
- Accredited trainers who have worked in the UK and abroad
- Job opportunities as soon as you finish!
Course dates for 2024
20 week Extensive (part-time)
- Dates: Monday 15 January 2024 to Thursday 30 May 2024
- First half: Monday 15 January 2024 - Wednesday 27 March 2024
- Easter break: Thursday 28 March - Tuesday 2 April 2024
- Second half: Wednesday 3 April - Thursday 30 May 2024
- Timetable: Face-to-face teaching practice, feedback and planning on Wednesday evenings 5:00pm – 9:00pm for 20 weeks
- 1 hour online seminar per week 5:00pm - 6:00pm - day TBC. Likely Mondays pre-Easter
- Online input done at a time during the week that suits you
- Application deadline: Thursday 30 November 2023
- Shortlisting: By Monday 4 December 2023
- Interviews: w/c 11 December 2023
- Full payment: By Monday 1 Jan 2024
- Delivery: Face-to-Face and online
Please note that courses will only run if we reach the minimum number of candidates. If the course does not run we will provide a full refund.
The fee for each course, including Cambridge fee and materials:
- £1,450 for University of Leicester staff and graduates
- £1,550 for external candidates
In order to accept your offer, you will need to pay a £200 deposit.
In case of withdrawal, we will only offer a refund up to 14 days from the deposit payment date.
If you have a refugee background and would like to be considered for a sanctuary fee waiver for this CELTA course, please complete the CELTA Sanctuary Scholarship application form as well as the CELTA course application form, and submit both forms by the same deadline.
More information about the course, information about syllabus, assessments etc. can be found on the Cambridge CELTA website.
Who is CELTA for?
CELTA is an introductory course for applicants with little or no experience of teaching English to speakers of other languages. Candidates with some experience but little formal ELT training will also be considered, as well as native and non-native speakers.
On your application form, you should demonstrate that:
- you are at least 18
- you are educated to the level required for entry into higher education (e.g. 'A' level)
- you have an awareness of language and a competence in both written and spoken English which will enable you to undertake the course and prepare for teaching a range of levels
- your English is good enough to teach at a range of levels (CEFR Level C1–C2 or above.)
- you have the potential to develop the necessary skills to become an effective teacher and to successfully complete the written assignments and the practice teaching assessments
- it is useful if you have experience learning another language, but not essential.
Interested in finding out more about CELTA?
The ELTU organises a CELTA Taster event to give participants an idea of what doing a CELTA entails.
We will be announcing the date of our next CELTA Taster event shortly. In the meantime, please follow the link above and complete our interest form or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.