The industry standard language teaching qualification is now being offered by the ELTU.
The Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults (CELTA) has been the most recognised initial qualification in English Language Teaching for over forty years. Whether teaching in private schools in Spain, Poland or Thailand or the UK, the Cambridge CELTA gives you access to robust contracts with reputable providers.
- Includes real teaching practice as well as input sessions
- recognised worldwide by everyone from the British Council to the University of Leicester
- small groups for personalised tuition
- accredited trainers who have worked in the UK and abroad
- job opportunities as soon as you finish!
2021 course fee including Cambridge fee and materials:
- £1,450 for University of Leicester staff and graduates
- £1,550 for external candidates
Course dates for 2021
10 week semi-intensive (part-time)
- 14 April to 17 June
- Delivery: Face to face (if possible)
- 9.00 - 17.30/18.00 (twice a week)
- Deadline: Friday 1 March 2021. Interviews dates TBC.
5 week intensive (full-time)
- Dates in summer 2021: TBC (Monday to Thursday) 9.00 - 17.30/18.00
- Deadline: TBC
More information about the course, information about syllabus, assessments etc. can be found on the Cambridge CELTA website
Who is CELTA for?
CELTA is an introductory course for applicants with little or no experience of teaching English to speakers of other languages. Candidates with some experience but little formal ELT training will also be considered, as well as native and non-native speakers.
On your application form, you should demonstrate that:
- you are at least 18
- you are educated to the level required for entry into higher education (e.g. 'A' level)
- you have an awareness of language and a competence in both written and spoken English which will enable you to undertake the course and prepare for teaching a range of levels
- your English is good enough to teach at a range of levels (CEFR Level C1–C2 or above.)
- you have the potential to develop the necessary skills to become an effective teacher and to complete successfully the written assignments and the assessment of practice teaching
- It is useful if you have experience learning another language, but not essential.
Interested in finding out more about CELTA?
The ELTU organises a CELTA Taster event, to give participants an idea of what doing a CELTA entails. Interested? Email us at email@example.com to express your interest and we will contact you when the next event is taking place.