University of Leicester Technician Commitment Action Plan
We will establish a Steering Committee to oversee activity. It will be chaired by a ULT member, PVC and Head of the College of Science and Engineering and include technical staff from across the institution.
- Action Plan Submission (PDF 1MB)
- Increase visibility and celebrate the achievements of technicians with the Technician’s Annual Conference and regular events throughout the year.
- Give technicians visibility through acknowledgment in research grants and as authors on papers with a clear University policy.
- Technicians to sit on decision-making committees where appropriate.
- Support technicians in gaining recognition through professional registration, also via establishing a professional fund.
- Recognition of technicians through awards (Discovering Excellence Awards) and nomination for internal and external prizes.
- Introduce clear and transparent career pathways for technical staff.
- Encourage job shadowing, secondment opportunities, mentoring and coaching both within Leicester and other Midland’s Universities.
- Establish and invest in apprenticeship schemes to ensure succession plans are in place.
- Increase opportunities and funding for technician’s professional development.
- Create a vibrant technician network at UoL where members can feel part of a valued community.