University of Leicester Technician Commitment Action Plan
The University's Technician Commitment Steering Group oversees activity. The Steering Group is co-chaired by an Executive Board member, the PVC and Head of the College of Science and Engineering and the Head of Technical Services Development and Strategy. The Steering Group includes technical staff representatives from across the institution.
Our Technician Commitment Action Plan outlines planned activity within the themes of the Commitment:
- Increase visibility and celebrate the achievements of technicians with the Technician’s Annual Conference and regular events throughout the year.
- Give technicians visibility through acknowledgment in research grants and as authors on papers with a clear University policy.
- Technicians to sit on decision-making committees where appropriate.
- Support technicians in gaining recognition through professional registration, also via establishing a professional fund.
- Recognition of technicians through awards (Discovering Excellence Awards) and nomination for internal and external prizes.
- Introduce clear and transparent career pathways for technical staff.
- Encourage job shadowing, secondment opportunities, mentoring and coaching both within Leicester and other Midland’s Universities.
- Establish and invest in apprenticeship schemes to ensure succession plans are in place.
- Increase opportunities and funding for technician’s professional development.
- Create a vibrant technician network at UoL where members can feel part of a valued community.