Student Support Services


If you are considering withdrawing from your studies we would like to help you make the right decision for you. Before making a decision we would strongly advise that you speak with your academic department and, if relevant, support services at the University. In addition, there are likely to be practical repercussions on your student funding, the fees you are due to pay the University and your accommodation. It is important you understand these before you make your decision.

A withdrawal from studies is when you permanently leave your programme of study at the University of Leicester. If something is affecting your ability to study and you need to take some time away then you may wish to consider suspending your studies and returning at a later point rather than completely withdrawing.

Transferring to another University

If you wish to withdraw from your studies at Leicester in order to start at programme at another University you should follow the process set out below for permanent withdrawal. You should be sure that you understand the potential impact on your student funding, the fees that you may be due to pay the University or accommodation contracts.

How to withdraw

To permanently withdraw from your studies you will need to complete the online Withdrawal Request process. If you are an Undergraduate or Postgraduate Taught student, please log into MyStudentRecord to complete the process. If you are a Postgraduate Research (PGR) student please log into MyPGR.

How to complete the withdrawal process on MyStudentRecord

You will receive an email notification to your University email address once your request has been submitted to the University. Your school/department will then review your request, and confirm your last date of engagement, before approving your withdrawal from your studies. Once your withdrawal request has been processed we will confirm this to you by email (to your University email address).

We will notify the relevant organisations (where applicable) of your withdrawal as soon as possible. These include the Student Loans Company, UK Visas and Immigration, and HESA.

Please read the guidance below before you complete your online request to withdraw from your studies.


Learn more about the policies and processes regarding your fees and finance when withdrawing from the University and details of how refunds are processed, if applicable.


University accommodation

Once you know that you are withdrawing, send an email to confirming this. Include your name, student ID number and full term-time address, and specify the date you will end your tenancy.

The terms and conditions of your accommodation contract (Section 5.2) require you to give four weeks’ notice. The Accommodation Service will charge you for every day you have been in accommodation with the University up until the day you inform them that you are withdrawing (not necessarily the same as your study ‘last engagement date’) plus this additional four week notice period.

Any money you owe the University must be paid in full. Any money already paid for the period after the end of the notice period will be refunded to you.

Within those four weeks you will need to clear your room and return your keys to the Accommodation Service (it’s worth sending them an email to confirm you have done this).

Private accommodation

Check your contract and contact the Students’ Union and/or your Letting Agent/Landlord for advice.

Bear in mind that private landlords and letting agents generally don’t like trying to find new tenants partway through the academic year so it is unlikely you will be released from your contract unless you can find someone else to take it over from you.

Council Tax

If you receive a council tax discount, you will no longer be eligible for this after you withdraw.

International students

Please contact our Student Immigration Advice and Compliance team ( or 0116 229 7400) as withdrawing from your studies will affect your right to remain in the UK.

Tier 4 Visa

The University is legally required to report any change in the registration status of an international student to UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) who will then adjust your visa to a new expiry date. UKVI will normally allow a ‘grace period’ of 60 days for you to leave the UK or make another immigration application, but this is not guaranteed.

If you have already left the UK when you withdraw, your visa will stop being valid immediately.

If you have paid Immigration Health Surcharge, you will continue to be eligible for free NHS hospital treatment until your new visa expiry date.

Other visas

If you are here on another visa type/immigration route, such as Tier 1 General, Tier 2 or a dependent’s visa, the University will not advise the UKVI that your studies are suspended. However we still strongly recommend that you seek advice about how your withdrawal may affect your immigration status.

For further support

Student Welfare Service staff can provide further advice on the practical repercussions of withdrawing from your studies, or transferring to another University. You can request an appointment by sending an email to or calling 0116 223 1185.

The Advice Service in the Students' Union provide advice and guidance on a range of issues and University processes and can be contacted at and 0116 223 1132.

You can also speak to your department about any queries or concerns you may have about withdrawing.

Distance Learning students can also contact if they would like to discuss their options further.

Back to top