Calling all students: Are you a musician and would you like to continue your musical life alongside your studies at the University of Leicester?
Music Scholarships of £500 are available for the 2023/24 academic year to cover the cost of music lessons for student musicians who are studying an undergraduate or postgraduate degree in any subject.
Music Scholarships support students with opportunities to further develop their music-making which brings educational, social and wellbeing benefits and contributes to our university community.
Music Scholarships are delivered by Attenborough Arts Centre and Paul Jenkins, Honorary Director of Student Music.
As part of the Music Scholarships programme we also offer:
- Performance opportunities at Soundbites, Attenborough Arts Centre’s lunchtime concert series
- Connections with and introductions to musical societies and performance opportunities
- Signposting and support with securing free rehearsal spaces
- Information about local music concerts and ensembles in Leicester
Requests to use the Scholarship towards music scores and equipment will also be considered.
If you are skilled in two instruments, the scholarship can be split to cover lessons in both instruments.
- You are a musician and play an instrument or sing in any style or genre. You may or may not have followed a traditional grade pathway and there is no minimum grade required.
- You commit to practising regularly in order to make progress in your lessons and musical development.
- You commit to contributing to the musical life of the University. This is often through active membership of musical societies and can also include solo or group performances at Attenborough Arts Centre and elsewhere.
How to apply
Complete the application form (Microsoft Word, 71.8kb) and email it to email@example.com between the opening date on Monday 25 September and the deadline of 23:59 on Sunday 15 October 2023.
Please also complete the Equal Opportunities form. Responses collected will not be personally identifiable. The information we collate is aggregated to help ensure that we reach a diverse range of applicants.
Shortlisted applicants will be invited to audition in person on Friday 27 October 2023 from 9:00am to 4:00pm in the Charles Wilson Building. All applicants will be notified whether or not they have been shortlisted.
All auditionees will be notified of the outcome within one week following the audition.
Feedback on applications and auditions will be available on request.
We are committed to equity, diversity and inclusion and to engaging applicants from all backgrounds. Similar to our Guaranteed Interview Scheme for employed posts, we offer guaranteed auditions to all disabled applicants who meet the application criteria.
At the audition you are asked to play two pieces in person lasting about 5 minutes.
The music you choose should show the best of your technical ability, but also demonstrate your musicality and ability to communicate. You will be asked questions about your commitment to music and your experience of performing. The audition panel will include:
- Honorary Director of Student Music (Chair)
- A local professional musician
- SU Activities Officer and member of Attenborough Arts Centre Advisory Board
- Director of Attenborough Arts Centre
- Piano accompanist
The panel will make their decision based on the published criteria above. Because there are a limited number of scholarships available, the panel aims to selected a balanced cohort of music scholarship students across styles, genres and abilities.
If you are not successful, we hope you will nevertheless take advantage of the many musical opportunities on offer during your time at the University of Leicester.