Get to know your subject

Get a feel for life as a Geology student at the University of Leicester.

  1. Explore our online resources
  2. Join our live chat
  3. Ask us anything
Accept your offer

Subject talk

Student experience

Tour and facilities


At the University of Leicester we support you and your career aspirations from the moment you arrive until after you graduate. Find out about our Career Development Service, our in-house employment agency, our Festival of Careers and other ways that we boost your employability.

Careers and Employability

Frequently asked questions

Can I change from the BSc to the MGeol degree (or from the MGeol to BSc)?

Yes, we aim to be as flexible as possible! You can change between these options up until midway through your third year.

Changing from the BSc to the MGeol would depend upon your grades at the end of the second year, but as long as you’re doing fairly well, we’re very happy to welcome you onto the MGeol.

What happens if I don’t get the grades in my offer?

Firstly, don’t panic! Sometimes things don’t go to plan, so we do our best to assist applicants who might have missed their offers. We want to teach people who want to be here, so just get in touch with us when you get your results.

Can I change from one Geology degree stream to another (e.g., from single-subject Geology to Geology with Palaeontology, Applied and Environmental Geology, or Geology with Geophysics)?

Yes, up until the end of first year, you can change to a different Geology degree stream. (Please note that for Geology with Geophysics BSc, we require a higher level of maths skills)

If you’ve applied to one of our specialist degree streams, you’ll have the benefit of a subject-specific personal tutor right from the start. If you change on to one of these degree streams, we’ll aim to match you to a relevant tutor.

The common first year (where everyone does the same modules) will introduce you to the full breadth of the subject, so you can make the best choice for your future modules and degree title.

Do I have to pay anything for fieldwork?

We’re pleased to say that our field trips are very heavily subsidised by the University, so the costs to you will be minimal. This is the current situation and we’ll do everything we can to keep it this way. For most trips, this means that all the major costs are covered, but you may be asked to pay for some meals, depending on the trip.

The independent field-based project is a bit different. You will need to pay upfront for accommodation, travel and living costs, but then we will refund you, up to a certain amount. Many students manage to keep within budget, and get all their costs refunded. However, this will depend on where you go, where you stay, and how you travel. We can advise you on this when you choose your project area.

What contact hours can I expect?

In the first year, you’ll have a mixture of lectures, practical classes, and tutorials amounting to around 20 hours per week, so you’ll see plenty of us! This contact time will decrease as you progress through your degree and work more independently. Of course, you can always arrange a meeting with a lecturer or your tutor, if you need to chat further about anything.

On top of this, you’ll have the field trips, which provide a fantastic additional opportunity to interact with staff and demonstrators: an intensive but rewarding way to learn.

Can I study abroad?

Many of our courses feature the opportunity to study abroad.

There are many benefits of spending time studying abroad during your course - International experiences can enhance your academic and personal skills and your employability.

Most students go for one academic year, between the second and third years of their course. However, some Schools offer one-semester options. You can also consider going on an overseas summer school, whether as a taster for a full year, or simply as a shorter alternative. And don’t worry if you don’t currently speak any other languages - we have many partner universities in other English-speaking countries, and most of our partner universities teach at least some of their classes in English.

We have exchange partner universities on every continent (except Antarctica!). Where you can go depends on your course and this list can vary from year to year.