University finance

Tuition fee and maintenance loans

Once you’ve made the decision to become a Citizen of Change at Leicester, you’ll need to consider how to fund your studies. The good news is: it’s straightforward and you won’t pay anything up front. 

Tuition Fee Loan 

This loan pays for your Tuition Fee. It is paid directly to the University. 

If you normally live in England, you can take out a Tuition Fee Loan from the Government (via Student Finance England), which covers the entire cost of the tuition fee for each year of your course.  

The loan will accrue interest. You will automatically start paying it back, after you have graduated, once your earnings reach a set level (currently £25,000 a year). 

You can find out more about Tuition Fee Loans on The Student Room's undergraduate student finance zone. Don’t worry – it’s all really simple. 

If you currently live in Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales, you should visit one of the pages below for details of the relevant Tuition Fee Loan system: 

If you do not want to take out a Tuition Fee Loan, it is possible to pay your tuition fee yourself upfront. You could also have all or part of your fee paid by a sponsor such as a Government agency. 

Where do my fees go?

Maintenance Loan 

This loan contributes towards your living costs. It is paid directly into your bank account at the beginning of each term, so you can use it to pay for things like accommodation, food, course essentials and transport. 

Just like your Tuition Fee Loan, you will only have to start repaying this loan, after you have graduated, once your earnings reach a set level (currently £25,000 a year). 

The amount you receive each year depends on your household income. Use the Government’s online Student Finance Calculator to see how much you should receive. 

Total Government support for living costs, 2023/24 

Household income Moving away to Leicester Parental/ Carer Home
£25,000 & under £9,978 £8,400 
£30,000 £9,265 £7,694
£35,000 £8,552 £6,988
£40,000 £7,839 £6,282
£45,000 £7,125 £5,576

Contact us 

If you have any questions about loans, please contact our Fees and Income Team: 

For general advice about student funding including loans and awards contact our Student Finance Advisers. 

Back to top