Visiting PhD students

If you are a PhD student at another university you can apply to study for a period of up to 1 year at the University of Leicester to undertake research which supports the PhD at your home university.

In the first instance, you should look for a potential supervisor who is willing to host your visit. Refer to the supervisor research interests on relevant subject pages

To apply

When you have found a suitable supervisor contact the PGR Admissions Office on for the link to the Visiting PhD Student application.

Submit your online application and include the following:

  • The name of the academic member of staff who will supervise your visit 
  • A short proposal of the research you would like to conduct and include the proposed start date and end date of your visit
  • A reference from your current supervisor, which confirms your current student status, permission to study abroad and suitability for undertaking research at the University of Leicester 
  • CV
  • Evidence of English proficiency, if available
  • Copy of your most recent degree Certificate and Transcript e.g. Bachelor/Master’s

If accepted the PGR Admissions Office will send you a formal offer letter which will confirm your visit dates, supervisor, any fees to be charged and accommodation advice.

Visa requirements for international students

The following visa requirements will apply for International visiting students:

Visits of less than 6 months

  • ATAS clearance if applicable
  • Evidence of English proficiency may be required by the academic department
  • Short Term Study Visa will be required

Visits of more than 6 months

  • ATAS clearance if applicable
  • Evidence of English language proficiency will be required to meet UKVI rules.  If not already obtained this will be included as a condition of the offer.
    • Please refer to our entry requirements for acceptable evidence of English proficiency for the department you will be visiting.
  • Tier 4 General Student visa will be required. 
  • We will issue a CAS for the visa when the offer is unconditional, and, where applicable, the ATAS clearance certificate has been obtained. 

For further advice, please contact PGR Admissions on