Other funding sources for postgraduates

There are a number of specialist organisations which offer funding to postgraduate students to help pay for courses and living costs, two of which are mentioned below.

Professional and Career Development Loans (PCDL)

You may be able to apply for a PCDL to help towards the cost of a postgraduate degree. PCDLs are bank loans that can be used to pay for work-related learning. You can borrow between £300 and £10,000 to help support the cost of up to two years of learning (or three years if it includes one year’s relevant unpaid practical work). Further information on financial assistance to support your learning can be found on the PCDL website.

Future Finance Student Loans

Future Finance offer prospective students the opportunity to apply for a loan. Future Finance loans are:

  • Offered to all Leicester students with a UK home address (assuming they meet appropriate credit checks and are 18 or over), irrelevant of the level of study.
  • Available from £2,500 to £40,000. This money can be used for living costs as well as tuition fees.
  • Repayable up to 10 years and three months after graduation.
  • Flexible as you can apply for up to four payment breaks of three months each during the loan period.
  • For more information and the best rates please visit the Future Finance website.

Further details of eligibility requirements, interest rates and other key terms of the loan are available by visiting the Future Finance website.

*Please note that the information provided on the University of Leicester’s website is not, and shall not be deemed to constitute, advice, an endorsement or a recommendation regarding any loan product. You should always ensure that a particular loan product is suitable for you and seek independent professional advice if needed. The University of Leicester does not assume any liability for any content on external third party websites that it provides hyperlinks to. The third party website provider is liable for the accuracy of the content and information it provides on its website.

Part-time work

The most common way to fund further study is through earnings from a part-time or full-time job. We have our own recruitment agency, Unitemps, on site who are able to help you to find part-time work.