Registering with the police and a doctor

Registering with a doctor

We recommended that you register with a doctor (sometimes called a GP, for ‘general practitioner’) as soon as you arrive at university, so that you can be seen quickly if you have a health issue near the start of term.

If you are from a country outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and you will be in the UK for more than six months, you will have had to pay the Immigration Health Surcharge as part of your visa application. This means you can use the NHS for free, although you will still need to pay some charges - such as prescriptions, eye tests and dental work - in the same way as a UK resident.

If you plan to be here for less than six months, we recommend that you take out private health insurance before you come to the UK. Without this, you will be charged for any healthcare services you need (including hospital care).

You can register with the Victoria Park Health Centre which is next to the university campus, or you can find a health centre near you by searching on the NHS website.

The management and medication for some conditions may be different in this country from what you are used to, and some medication which is used in your home country may not be available in the UK. So if you have an existing medical condition, it is extremely important to register with a local health centre. Make an appointment to see a doctor soon after arrival in this country to discuss how you can manage your condition to avoid any unnecessary disruption to your studies. Please bring information from your current doctor which includes details of your diagnosis and how you currently manage your condition, including medication. If you are taking medication, you should bring enough with you to last at least a few weeks.

If you live in an EEA country, make sure you obtain a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) before coming to the UK. This card allows you to access the NHS for free, in the same way as a UK resident.


Before you come to the UK, you should talk to your own doctor about which vaccinations you need. You should also make a list of the vaccinations you have had, and when you had them. Public Health England, part of the UK Government, recommends that students have the MenACWY and MMR vaccinations before coming to university (or as soon as you arrive).

In the UK, the Meningitis B vaccination is only offered routinely to children, not adults, so it is worth talking to your own doctor back home about having this if you have not had it already. 

Registering with the Police

Students from some non-EU countries are required to register with the police. If this applies to you, it will be stated on your visa in your passport, or on your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP).

During October you can make an appointment for on-campus Police Registration at the Student Services Centre. After this you can register directly at the Nationality Office in the Hinckley Road Police Station.

When you register with the police you should take with you:

  • Your passport
  • Two passport-size photographs
  • £34 registration fee (cash only)
  • Your accommodation tenancy agreement
  • A letter confirming that you are a student at the University of Leicester (you will receive this at the visa checkpoint)
  • Completed registration form (available from the Student Services Centre - you can also download the form as a PDF)