Applying for a CAS number and visa

If you are an international student (from outside the EU) then in order to apply for a Tier 4 General Student visa you need to be issued with a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) number. This is a unique reference number issued by UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI). Once you have firmly accepted your offer with us we can start the process of providing you with your CAS number. If there are less than six months to go before the start of your course, you’ll receive an email from us very soon.

There are five steps to applying for a CAS number from us:

  1. Accept your unconditional offer with us. Your unconditional offer will be sent once you have met the conditions of your offer.
  2. We will send you a CAS request form, asking you to confirm your personal details and the course you intend to study. If you accept more than one offer with us you can only request a CAS number for one course.
  3. Once we receive your CAS request form we will apply to UKVI for your CAS number.
  4. We will email you your CAS number, along with details of the documents we used to assess your application. If your application is complete and we are not waiting for any information such as your passport number, then we aim to get your CAS to you by email within two working days. If you have applied through an agent, we will email it to both you and your agent. Please note your CAS number is only valid for six months and you cannot make your visa application more than three months before the start of the course.
  5. If you are granted a visa, it will specify that you will study at the University of Leicester. You will not be able to use this visa to study at any other university in the UK.

Find out more about how to apply for a Tier 4 Visa. Please note that Tier 4 Visa applications also require evidence of English language ability.

Research in some sensitive areas may require you to apply for an ATAS certificate before your visa. Your offer letter will make it clear if this is the case.

Now find out about paying your tuition fees.