Academic appeals

This guide is intended to explain the Academic Appeals process. Details of the appeals procedure are published in regulations Senate Regulation 10. Before making an appeal you are encouraged to talk to your personal tutor, supervisor or another appropriate member of staff in your department, or to seek support from the Advice Service in the Students’ Union (advice@le.ac.uk or +44 (0)116 223 1132).

Industrial action

The University is working hard to avoid disruption to your studies which may occur as a result of industrial action. The University will take all reasonable action to ensure that student’s academic outcomes are not affected and any impact will be taken into account through the assessment process. If you believe the industrial action has had a greater impact on your academic outcome which have not been sufficiently mitigated by the actions taken by the University and you have received a Board of Examiners’ decision, you can submit an academic appeal as detailed below.

If you feel you have been significantly disadvantaged by the industrial action in any other way, you may be eligible to submit a complaint on any of the following grounds:

  • That there is evidence of significant disadvantage caused by the industrial action
  • That the University failed to take reasonable measures to mitigate the impact of the industrial action
  • That planned formal teaching events were cancelled as a result of the industrial action and not replaced

Please note that a complaint process cannot alter your academic outcome and, as above, if you wish to challenge your academic outcome you can do so through the academic appeal process detailed below.

Appeal submission deadlines

Submit your completed appeal form and supporting documentary evidence:

  • to the address stated in Section 6 of the appeal form (electronic submission is preferred)
  • to arrive by the relevant appeal deadline stated in the communication notifying you of your results. These are reiterated below.

The deadline by which you will need to submit your appeal depends on when the decision you want to appeal against was made. You can find the deadline that applies to you in the communication that formally advises you of the Board of Examiners or other academic body's decision. Depending on the level and type of your study, the notification may be by formal email, letter, via the University's online student results portal, or a combination of one or more of these.

Please wait until the relevant Board of Examiners has reached its decision before submitting any appeal. An appeal submitted earlier will normally be unable to be considered until after the Board has met due to the possibility that the decision may change.

Campus based undergraduate students

Refer to results email from studentrecords@le.ac.uk and MyStudentRecord notification - usually 7 calendar days from the date of notification of results.

MBChB students only

Refer to results correspondence signed by Dr Fiona Miall or Professor Simon Gay, Joint Deputy Heads of School of Medicine.

Postgraduate campus based students and all distance learning students

Refer to results email from studentrecords@le.ac.uk and MyStudentRecord notification - usually 28 days from the date of notification of results.

Appeals submitted after the relevant deadline will be deemed to be out of time and will not be considered unless we accept that you have provided clear documentary evidence to demonstrate that you were prevented from submitting the appeal earlier. You may not appeal if your results are not as good as you had hoped or worse than you believe you deserve. Appeals which simply challenge the academic judgement of internal or external examiners or Boards of Examiners are not permitted.

Document scanning facilities

Facilities to electronically scan hard copy documents can be found in various locations on campus, including the photocopying rooms in the David Wilson Library. The service is free of charge when the files are sent to your university email account.

Further information and guidance

If you require further information about how the appeals process works, contact:

  • the Quality Office (appeals@le.ac.uk) - all students except MBChB;
  • Mr Andy Sarratt, Head of Operations for the Schools of Medicine and Healthcare (via HOSLMS@leicester.ac.uk) - MBChB students only.

They can explain the procedure but cannot help you in writing an appeal.

You may find it helpful to speak to your personal tutor or supervisor/postgraduate tutor if you are considering submitting an appeal. Alternatively, get in touch with an Education Advisor in the Advice Service. The Advice Service is part of the Students' Union and offers free, confidential advice to students about various aspects of their studies - including mitigating circumstances, concerns about final grades, and putting together an academic appeal.


Back to top