Widening Participation Team privacy notice for Progression Programme parents/carers/guardians
The Widening Participation Team is part of the University of Leicester. The University of Leicester is the Data Controller for your information.
This privacy notice explains how we use your personal information and your rights regarding that information
What information are you collecting?
The information stored and processed by the Widening Participation team may include any of the following:
- Your child or dependent’s identifying details (including their name, school, date of birth)
- Your details (name, relationship to student, mobile/telephone numbers, occupation and experience of higher education, highest qualification gained, email address for emergency contact and provision of relevant information updates)
- Communications received from you or sent to you by the progression programmes team
- Signed consent that the information provided is accurate and that you consent to your child or dependent engaging with our progression programmes if selected.
Why are you collecting this data?
Your child or dependent has applied for place on one of our progression programmes and has indicated that they meet one of our priority criteria around parental/carer experience of Higher education/university.
Data collected will be used to determine the eligibility of your child or dependent’s to join our programmes and to ensure we can keep you updated on the programme they are engaged with.
How will you use this data?
If your child or dependent is selected to join the programme, we’ll keep a record of having received this supporting evidence from you in support of child or dependent application. We’ll also keep your contact details to update you on the programme your child or dependent are engaged with.
What is the legal basis for processing the data?
The data collected by the Widening Participation team will be used to assess your child or dependent’s eligibility for our events, summer schools or progression programmes and to ensure that your child or dependent is safe during the events, summer school or programmes in line with the University’s Safeguarding Policy.
Progression programme data is used:
- To support and track your child or dependent through our progression programme and the UCAS application cycle
- To identify University applicants for alternative offers and financial support packages
- For learners who enter the University of Leicester, to support their transition to the University of Leicester and eligibility for financial support packages
Your data will be processed under the legal basis below:
- Performance of a contract - For parents/carers which either attend activities with their child/dependent or provide their child/dependents personal information for them to be able to engage.
If you are sharing this data with others, who are you sharing it with?
Your data is held in one place by the Widening Participation team in a password protected file which is controlled to make sure that only those people that need to see it have access to it.
We do not share your data with anyone outside of the Widening Participation team unless in a Safeguarding situation and the circumstances listed below for Progression Programmes.
For Progression Programme learners, where required for the successful delivery and tracking of programme progression, we will share your child or dependent’s data in a password protected file with the following teams within the University:
- Our registry team to enable us to generate a student records for production of programme ID card and access to our online IT systems (including Blackboard and library resources)
- Our IT team for supporting the creation and management of IT account access
- Our Admissions team to enable them to identify applicants to the university form the programme and confirm their programme completion status and alternative offer/financial support status
- Our Scholarships team for learners who register to study with us to ensure financial support is released where eligible
- Any other university based team where the data is required for the successful delivery or tracking of your child or dependent’s progress through the programme or into the University
We do not share your data outside of the EEA.
How long will you process this data for?
- Events/campus visits – we will retain your data for a maximum of one year from the visit
- Summer Schools – we will retain your data until 21 years from your child or dependant’s date of birth
- Progression Programmes – unsuccessful candidates – we will retain your data until a maximum of 6 months after the end of the recruitment period.
- Progression Programmes – successful candidates – we will retain your data until a maximum of 6 years after the end of your child or dependent’s involvement with the programme.
What are my rights and how can I enforce them?
You can, at any point, tell us if you no longer want us to process your data – even if you have previously given us permission to do so. You can contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org to request this. We always aim to comply with these requests, if for any reason we are unable to we will let you know the reason why.
Please find below the rights you have regarding the data that you have provided:
- Right to be informed
- Right of access
- Right of rectification
- Right to restrict processing
How do I complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office?
The Information Commissioner can be contacted on:
- Information Commissioners Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK95AF
- 0303 123 1113
- ICO website