Nomination of examiners privacy notice
The Doctoral College Office is part of the University of Leicester. The University of Leicester is the Data Controller for your information.
This privacy notice explains how we use your personal information and your rights regarding that information.
What information are you collecting?
- Current post
- Contact details (institutional and/or personal details – address, telephone number and email address)
- Education history
- Student supervision and examining experience
- Career history
- Details of three publications
Why are you collecting my data?
Information is required to facilitate the following processes:
- Nomination of examiners, thesis dispatch, viva paperwork, payment of fees and expenses.
- And to organise events for the assessment of students’ eligibility for their award.
How will you use this data?
Data will be used to make an assessment of the suitability of the candidate to be appointed as an external examiner.
Contact details will be used to send relevant documentation related to examining the student, such as dispatching the thesis, providing guidance and instructions for holding the viva, organising the viva, Skype conferences, etc., with University of Leicester colleagues.
What is the legal basis for processing the data?
External examiner’s personal data is collected and processed by the University as necessary for performance of a contract under which the University remunerates the external examiner for their services as an examiner
If you are sharing my data with others, who are you sharing it with?
Data will be shared with:
- Relevant staff within the University of Leicester academic department – this will include Head of Department, student’s supervisors, internal examiner, Chair of the viva (if applicable) and departmental administrator. Doctoral College Director.
- Finance/Payroll – for fees and expenses.
- Other external examiners, but only where there are no internal examiners on the panel. If external examiners are based outside EEA your explicit consent will be sought to share this information.
- Student – on the copy of the Joint Report (name of examiner).
How long will you process my data for?
- Personal contact data will be held until termination/end of the appointment plus 1 year
- Institutional contact data termination/end of appointment plus 3 years
- Name plus 6 years from student ending studies with the University
What are my rights and how do I enforce them?
- Right to be informed
- Right of access
- Right of rectification
- Right to restrict processing
How can I complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office?
The Information Commissioner can be contacted on:
- Information Commissioners Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF
- 0303 123 1113
- ICO website