Data Privacy Notice (GDPR)
This privacy notice explains how we use your personal information and your rights regarding that information.
Data controller and data protection officer
The Insurance Department is part of the University of Leicester. The University of Leicester is the Data Controller for your information.
The Data Protection Officer is:
Data Protection Officer and In-House Commercial Lawyer
Information Assurance Services
University of Leicester
0116 229 7640
What information are we collecting?
Examples of information we will be collecting are:
- contact information such as
- email addresses
- addresses and telephone numbers
- financial data such as bank account details and financial standing
- medical information
- marital status
- date of birth
- National Insurance number
- driver licence number
- accident details
- job title and job history
- membership of a body or association
- personal sensitive information such as
- racial or ethnic origin
- political opinions
- religious or similar beliefs
- physical or mental health or condition
- sexual life
- alleged commission or any offence or any proceedings for any offence (alleged to be) committed and the outcome or court sentence.
The above list is not exhaustive and insurers may require additional information not detailed above.
Why are we collecting your data?
Data is collected primarily for insurers’ requirements.
The University may also use the data to ensure compliance with financial regulations and to assist in fulfilling our duty of care.
How we will use this data?
Data may be collated to create databases, spreadsheets, claims handling, underwriting risk rating analysis and trend forecasting.
What is the legal basis for processing the data?
In most cases Performance of a Contract. In some circumstances processing is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation.
Where special category data is processed an additional legal basis is required. Dependent on the circumstances our additional legal bases will be:
- explicit consent
- processing necessary for the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims
- processing is necessary for the purposes of preventive or occupational medicine, or for the assessment of the working capacity of an employee.
Who are we sharing your data with?
Relevant information may be shared with the following:
- insurance broker
- insurance companies
- legal representatives
- loss adjusters
- other University of Leicester departments
- third party claimants and their legal representatives
How long will we process your data for?
All data is kept in accordance with the University of Leicester Retention Schedule.
What are your rights and how do you enforce them?
If we are unable to process your personal data this may result in a restriction of work place activity and may also prejudice settlement of claims.
The following rights may apply to your personal data which we may process:
- right to withdraw consent
- right to be informed
- right of access
- right of rectification
- right to erasure
- right to restrict processing
- right to data portability
- right to object
- rights related to automated decision making including processing
How to raise a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office
The Information Commissioner is at:
Information Commissioners Office
0303 123 1113
Email available at www.ico.org.uk.