Professor Thompson Robinson
Pro Vice-Chancellor, Head of College and Dean of Medicine
School/Department: Cardiovascular Sciences, Department of
Telephone: +44 (0)116 252 2965
I undertook my medical training in Nottingham, Newcastle-Upon-Tyne and Leicester and was appointed Pro Vice-Chancellor, Head of the College of Life Sciences and Dean of Medicine in April 2021. I am also Professor of Stroke Medicine at the University of Leicester and Honorary Consultant Physician in Stroke Medicine for University Hospitals of Leicester NHS Trust. I was appointed an NIHR Senior Investigator in April 2016. My other responsibilities include: Past President of the British Association of Stroke Physicians and National Specialty Lead for Stroke for the NIHR Clinical Research Network. My research interests include clinical trials in acute stroke particularly blood pressure and thrombolysis management and studies of cardiovascular and cerebrovascular regulatory mechanisms.
My main research focus is acute stroke blood pressure; investigating the pathophysiology of BP changes following stroke changes in cerebrovascular autoregulation and the prognosis of these variables. This has culminated in the leadership and/ or national co-ordination of acute stroke trials (CHHIPS, COSSACS, ENCHANTED BP, ENCHANTED Dose, INTERACT2) that have informed US European and UK guidelines. In addition my research is at the forefront of the development of non-invasive assessments of cerebral autoregulation demonstrating impaired autoregulation in the acute stroke period as well as refining methods of cerebral autoregulation assessment. At April 2022, my Google scholar h-index was 62; i10-index 213; citations 13,861
>350 original publications; 13861 citations; Google Scholar H-index 62, i10-index 213 (at 12 Apr 2022);
For Full List:
Orcid ID: 0000-0003-2144-2468
Selected Publications (last 5 years)
- Anderson CS, Huang Y, Lindley RI, Chen X, Arima H, Chen G, Li Q, Billot L, Delcourt C, Bath PM, Broderick JP, Demchuk AM, Donnan GA, Durham AC, Lavados PM, Lee TH, Levi C, Martins SO, Olavarria VV, Pandian JD, Parsons MW, Pontes-Neto OM, Ricci S, Sato S, Sharma VK, Silva F, Song L, Thang NH, Wardlaw JM, Wang JG, Wang X, Woodward M, Chalmers J, Robinson TG. Intensive blood pressure reduction with intravenous thrombolysis therapy for acute ischaemic stroke (ENCHANTED): an international randomised, open-label, blinded-endpoint phase 3 trial. Lancet 2019; 393: 877-888. doi: 10.1016/s0140-6736(19)30038-8. PubMed: PMID30739745.
- Bath PM, Scutt P, Anderson CS, Ankolekar S, Appleton JP, Berge E, Cala L, Dixon M, England TJ, Godolphin PJ, Havard D, Haywood L, Hepburn T, Krishnan K, Mair G, Montgomery AA, Muir K, Phillips SJ, Pocock S, Potter J, Price CI, Randall M, Robinson TG, Roffe C, Rothwell PM, Sandset EC, Sanossian N, Saver JL, Shone A, Siriwardena AN, Wardlaw JM, Woodhouse LJ, Venables G, Sprigg N. Pre-hospital transdermal glyceryl trinitrate in patients with ultra-acute presumed stroke (RIGHT-2): a randomised, sham-controlled, blinded, phase III, superiority ambulance-based trial. Lancet 2019; 393: 1009-1020. doi: 10.1016/s0140-6736(19)30194-1. PubMed: PMID30738649.
- Sprigg N, Flaherty K, Appleton JP, Al-Shahi Salman R, Bereczki D, Beridze M, Christensen H, Ciccone A, Collins R, Czlonkowska A, Dineen RA, Duley L, Egea-Guerrero JJ, England TJ, Krishnan K, Laska AC, Law ZK, Ozturk S, Pocock SJ, Roberts I, Robinson TG, Roffe C, Seiffge D, Scutt P, Thanabalan J, Werring D, Whynes D, Bath PM, for the TICH-2 Investigators. Tranexamic acid for hyperacute primary intracerebral haemorrhage (TICH-2): an international randomised, placebo-controlled, phase 3 superiority trial. Lancet 2018; 391: 2107-2115. doi: 10.1016/s0140-6736(18)31033-x. PubMed: PMID29778325.
- Bath PM, Woodhouse LJ, Appleton JP, Beridze M, Christensen H, Dineen RA, Duley L, England TJ, Flaherty K, Havard D, Heptinstall S, James M, Krishnan K, Markus HS, Montgomery GS, Pocock SJ, Randall M, Ranta A, Robinson TG, Scutt P, Venables GS, Sprigg N. Intensive versus guideline antiplatelet therapy in patients with acute cerebral ischaemic (TARDIS): a randomised, open-label, phase III, superiority trial. Lancet 2018; 391: 850-859. doi: 10.1016/s0140-6736(17)32849-0. PubMed: PMID29274727.
- Anderson CS, Arima H, Lavados P, Billot L, Hackett ML, Olavarria VV, Venturelli PM, Brunser A, Peng B, Cui L, Song L, Rogers K, Middleton S, Lim JY, Forshaw D, Lightbody CE, Woodward M, Pontes-Neto O, De Silva HA, Lin R-T, Lee T-H, Pandian JD, Mead GE, Robinson T, Watkins C. Cluster-randomized, crossover trial of head positioning in acute stroke. New England Journal of Medicine 2017; 376: 2437-2447. doi: 10.1056/nejmoa1615715. PubMed: PMID28636854.
I have supervised sixteen higher degree research students to completion (PhD 8, MD 8) and am supervising the following current projects: • Doctor of Medicine: Maternal haemodynamic changes during pregnancy among pregnant women on metformin.
BS3016 Neuroscience Futures - research led topic presenting an introductory seminar to students as well as a more in-depth research seminar student presentations coursework and exam questions.
Press and media
ischaemic stroke; haemorrhagic stroke; blood pressure; non-invasive cerebral blood flow assessment.
Current External Roles • Non-Executive Director University Hospitals of Leicester (September 2021 to date) • External Advisor (Geriatric Medicine) National Audit of Breast Cancer in Older Persons Royal College of Surgeons of England (2016 to date) • National Specialty Lead for Stroke NIHR Clinical Research Network (2015 to date) • Trustee Stroke Association (2014 to date) Editorial Board and Reviewer Experience • Associate Editor Cerebrovascular Diseases 2020 to date • Supplements Editor Age and Ageing (2003 to 2016) • Associate Editor (Stroke and Neurology) Age and Ageing (2003 to 2016) • Journal reviewer including Lancet, Lancet Neurology, Neurology, Circulation, Hypertension, Stroke. • Grant reviewer including network review panel member in Canada (Institute of Circulatory and Respiratory Health 2019) France (Agence Nationale de la Recherche 2018) and the USA (National Institute of Health 2015 and 2018)
NIHR Senior Investigator (2016)
• Bachelor of Medical Sciences (University of Nottingham 1985) • Bachelor of Medicine (University of Nottingham 1987) • Bachelor of Surgery (University of Nottingham 1987) • Membership (Royal College of Physicians 1990) • Specialist Register: General Internal Medicine (General Medical Council 1996) • Specialist Register: Geriatric Medicine (General Medical Council 1996) • Doctor of Medicine (University of Leicester 1998) • Fellowship (Royal College of Physicians of London 2002) • Fellowship (European Stroke Organisation 2012) • Associate Fellowship (Higher Education Academy 2017)