I am an innovative technology specialist with significant experience in the industrial development and application of specialised coatings materials and corrosion mitigation methods. I have written over 100 scientific papers (Journal papers conference proceedings book chapters and technical articles) in the field of coatings advanced materials and corrosion. I have developed methodologies materials and test protocols that are currently being adopted by Industry. I joined the University of Leicester in 2018 after a decade in Industry-focused research at TWI. I was a Gates Scholar at the University of Cambridge and have a PhD in Materials Science. I sit in several International Committees (European Federation of Corrosion and NACE). I am also a member (Judge) of the Journal of Thermal Spray Technology (JTST) best paper award committee. I am a Chartered Engineer (CEng) in the UK a Life Fellow of the Cambridge Philosophical Society and a fellow of the Institute of Materials Minerals and Mining (FIMMM) UK.
"I specialise in industrial development and application of coatings materials and corrosion mitigation methods. I look at the effect of coatings processing on their microstructure and their performance in service environments. I have worked on several InnovateUK and EU-funded projects. Some recent projects where I am the PI at the University of Leicester are given below:
• FORGE (EU H2020): Development of novel and cost-effective coatings for high-energy processing applications (2020-2024)
• BattMan3D (InnovateUK): Electric Vehicle Battery Manufacturing with Novel Multi-Material 3D Printer (2020-2022)
• GEOHEX (EU H2020): Advanced material for cost-efficient and enhanced heat exchange performance for geothermal application (2019-2022)
1. SA Khwaja and S Paul, ‘Inspection of Coated Hydrogen Transportation Pipelines’. Applied Sciences, Vol 12, Issue 19, 22 September 2022, Paper #9503, Pages 1-21.
2. G Mittal and S Paul, ‘Suspension and Solution Precursor Plasma and HVOF Spray: A Review’. Journal of Thermal Spray Technology Vol. 31, 2022, Pages 1443-1475. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11666-022-01360-w
3. A Castro-Vargas, S Gill and S Paul, ‘Effect of Corrosion Products and Deposits on the Damage Tolerance of TSA-Coated Steel in Artificial Seawater’, Surfaces, Vol. 5, Issue 1, 20 January 2022, Pages 113-126.
4. KK Maniam, R Chetty, E Thimmappa and S Paul, ‘Progress in the Development of Electrodeposited Catalysts for Direct Liquid Fuel Cell Applications’, Applied Sciences, Vol. 12, Issue 1, 05 January 2022, Paper #501, Pages 1-32.
5. KK Maniam and S Paul, ‘A Preliminary Assessment of the ‘Greenness’ of Halide-Free Ionic Liquids—An MCDA Based Approach’, Processes, Vol. 9, Issue 9, 27 August 2021, Paper #1524, Pages 1-10.
6. KK Maniam and S Paul, ‘Ionic Liquids and Deep Eutectic Solvents for CO2 Conversion Technologies—A Review’, Materials, Vol. 14, Issue 16, 11 August 2021, Paper #4519, Pages 1-20.
7. KK Maniam and S Paul, ‘Progress in Novel Electrodeposited Bond Coats for Thermal Barrier Coating Systems’, Materials, Vol. 14, Issue 15, 28 July 2021, Paper #4214, Pages 1-16.
8. A I Thorhallsson, F Fanicchia, E Davison, S Paul, S Davidsdottir, D I Olafsson, ‘Erosion and corrosion resistance performance of laser metal deposited high-entropy alloy coatings at Hellisheidi geothermal site ‘, Materials, Vol. 14, Issue 11, 4 June 2021, Paper #3071, Pages 1-17.
9. R Grinon-Echaniz, P Refait, M Jeannin, R Sabot, S Paul, R Thornton, ‘Study of cathodic reactions in defects of thermal spray aluminium coatings on steel in artificial seawater’, Corrosion Science, Vol. 187, 15 July 2021, 109514
10. Z Dong, S Paul, K Tassenberg, G Melton and H B Dong, ‘Transformation from human-readable documents and archives in arc welding domain to machine-interpretable data’, Computers in Industry, Vol. 128, June 2021, 103439
11. KK Maniam and S Paul, ‘Corrosion Performance of Electrodeposited Zinc and Zinc-Alloy Coatings in Marine Environment’, Corrosion and Materials Degradation, Vol 2, 21 April 2021, Pages 163-189.
12. R G Echaniz, S Paul, R Thornton, Ph Refait, M Jeannin and A Rodriguez, ‘Prediction of Thermal Spray Coatings Performance in Marine Environments by Combination of Laboratory and Field Tests’, Coatings, Vol. 11, Issue 3, 11 March 2021, Paper #320, Pages 1-15.
13. Z Dong, D Sergeev, M F Dodge, F Fanicchia, M Muller, S Paul and H B Dong, ‘Microstructure and Thermal Analysis of Metastable Intermetallic Phases in High-Entropy Alloy CoCrFeMo0.85Ni’, Materials, Vol. 14, Issue 5, 25 February 2021, Paper #1073, Pages 1-16.
14. KK Maniam and S Paul, ‘A Review on the Electrodeposition of Aluminum and Aluminum Alloys in Ionic Liquids’, Coatings, Vol. 11, Issue 1, 12 January 2021, Paper #80, Pages 1-36.
15. KK Maniam and S Paul, ‘Progress in Electrodeposition of Zinc and Zinc Nickel Alloys Using Ionic Liquids’, Applied Sciences, Vol. 10, Issue 15, 31 July 2020, Paper #5321, Pages 1-20.
16. S Paul, ‘Hydrogen in Aluminium-Coated Steels Exposed to Synthetic Seawater’, Surfaces, Vol. 3, Issue 3, 04 July 2020, Pages 282-300.
17. B Syrek-Gerstenkorn, S Paul, AJ Davenport, ‘Sacrificial Thermally Sprayed Aluminium Coatings for Marine Environments: A Review’, Coatings, Vol. 10, Issue 3, 12 March 2020, Paper #267, Pages 1-19.
18. R Y Zhang, H L Qin, Z N Bi, J Li, S Paul, T L Lee, S Y Zhang, J Zhang and H B Dong, ‘Temperature-Dependent Misfit Stress in Gamma Double Prime Strengthened Ni-Base Superalloys’, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A, Vol. 51, Issue, April 2020, Pages 1860-1873
19. R Y Zhang, H L Qin, Z N Bi, J Li, S Paul, T L Lee, S Y Zhang, J Zhang and H B Dong, ‘Evolution of Lattice Spacing of Gamma Double Prime Precipitates During Aging of Polycrystalline Ni-Base Superalloys: An In Situ Investigation’, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A, Vol. 51, Issue 2, February 2020, Pages 574-585
20. R Y Zhang, H L Qin, Z N Bi, J Li, S Paul, T L Lee, B Nenchev, J Zhang, S Kabra, J F Kelleher and H B Dong, ‘Using Variant Selection to Facilitate Accurate Fitting of γ″ Peaks in Neutron Diffraction’, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A, Vol. 50, Issue 11, November 2019, Pages 5421–5432
21. F Fanicchia, I Csaki, L E. Geambazu, H Begg and S Paul, ‘Effect of Microstructural Modifications on the Corrosion Resistance of CoCrFeMo0.85Ni Compositionally Complex Alloy Coatings’, Coatings, Vol. 9, Issue 11, 2019, Pages 695-710.
22. B Syrek-Gerstenkorn, S Paul, AJ Davenport, ‘Use of thermally sprayed aluminium (TSA) coatings to protect offshore structures in submerged and splash zones’, Surface and Coatings Technology, Vol. 374, 25 September 2019, Pages 124-133.
23. R G Echaniz, S Paul, R Thornton, ‘Effect of Seawater Constituents on the Performance of Thermal Spray Aluminum in Marine Environments’, Materials and Corrosion, Vol. 70, Issue 6, 26 March 2019, Pages 996-1004.
24. B Conner, S Essel, S Paul, R Wertheim, T Pasang, D P. Butcher Jr., H Zeidler, N Dahotre, S Pande, R Banerjee, S Cuesta-Lopez, N Babcsan, V Solomon, ‘Technological Innovations in Metals Engineering’, JOM, February 2019, Vol. 71, Issue 2, pp 651–654 (https://doi.org/10.1007/s11837-018-3224-2).
25. R Ahmed, G Vourlias, A Algoburi, C Vogiatzis, D Chaliampalias, S Skolianos, L-M Berger, S Paul, N H Faisal, F-L Toma, N M Al-Anazi, M F A Goosen, ‘Comparative Study of Corrosion Performance of HVOF-Sprayed Coatings Produced Using Conventional and Suspension WC-Co Feedstock’, Journal of Thermal Spray Technology, Vol. 27, Issue 8, December 2018, Pages 1579-1593.
26. L Vivar Mora, A Taylor, S Paul, R Dawson, C Wang, W Taleb, J Owen, A Neville and R Barker, ‘Impact of Silica Nanoparticles on the Morphology and Mechanical Properties of Sol-gel Derived Coatings’, Surface and Coating Technology, Vol. 342, May 2018, Pages 48-56.
27. L Vivar Mora, S Naik, S Paul, R Dawson, A Neville and R Barker, ‘Influence of Silica Nanoparticles on Corrosion Resistance of Sol-Gel Based Coatings on Mild Steel’, Surface and Coating Technology, Vol. 324, September 2017, Pages 368-375.
28. S Paul, ‘Stiffness of Plasma Sprayed Thermal Barrier Coatings’, Coatings, Vol. 7, Issue 68, 2017, Pages 1-21.
29. N Ce and S Paul, ‘Protection of Hot Subsea Risers by using Thermally Sprayed Aluminum’, Anti-Corrosion Methods and Materials, Vol. 64, Issue 3, May 2017, Pages 299-305.
30. N Ce and S Paul, ‘The Effect of Temperature and Local pH on Calcareous Deposit Formation in Damaged Thermal Spray Aluminum (TSA) Coatings and Its Implication on Corrosion Mitigation of Offshore Steel Structures’, Coatings, Vol. 7, Issue 52, 2017, Pages 1-18.
31. S Paul and B Syrek-Gerstenkorn, ‘Can Thermally Sprayed Aluminum (TSA) Mitigate Corrosion of Carbon Steel in Carbon Capture and Storage (CCS) Environments?’, Journal of Thermal Spray Technology, Vol. 26, Issue 1, January 2017, Pages 184-194.
32. B. Robinson, A. Tabecki, S Paul, G. Shi, A. Mills, I. P. Parkin, J. A. Darr, H. L. de Villiers Lovelock, ‘A Comparison of the Potential Capability of SFS, SPS and HVSFS for the Production of Photocatalytic Titania Coatings’, Journal of Thermal Spray Technology, Vol. 26, Issue 1, January 2017, Pages 161-172.
33. N Ce and S Paul, ‘Thermally Sprayed Aluminum Coatings for the Protection of Subsea Risers and Pipelines Carrying Hot Fluids’, Coatings, Vol 6, Issue 4, 2016, Pages 1-11.
34. N Ce and S Paul, ‘Can Thermally Sprayed Aluminium Protect Hot Subsea Steel Risers When Damaged?’, Welding and Cutting, Vol 15, Issue 2, 2016, Pages 126-129.
35. WR Smith and S Paul, ‘Natural Deposit Coatings on Steel during Cathodic Protection and Hydrogen Ingress’, Coatings, Vol 5, Issue 4, 2015, Pages 816-829.
36. S Paul, ‘Corrosion Performance of Damaged Thermally Sprayed Aluminium in Synthetic Seawater at Different Temperatures’, Thermal Spray Bulletin, Vol 8, Issue 2, 2015, Pages 139-146.
37. S Paul, Q Lu and MDF Harvey, ‘Mitigating Localized Corrosion Using Thermally Sprayed Aluminum (TSA) Coatings on Welded 25% Cr Superduplex Stainless Steel’, Journal of Thermal Spray Technology, Vol. 24, Issues 4, April 2015, Pages 629-636.
38. S Paul, S Shrestha, CM Lee and MDF Harvey, ‘Thermally Sprayed Aluminum (TSA) Coatings for Extended Design Life of 22% Cr Duplex Stainless Steel in Marine Environments’, Journal of Thermal Spray Technology, Vol. 22, Issues 2-3, March 2013, Pages 328-336.
39. S Paul and MDF Harvey, ‘Corrosion Testing of Ni Alloy HVOF Coatings in High Temperature Environments for Biomass Applications’, Journal of Thermal Spray Technology, Vol. 22, Issues 2-3, March 2013, Pages 316-327.
40. S Paul, ‘Assessing Coating Reliability through Pore Architecture Evaluation’, Journal of Thermal Spray Technology, Vol. 19, Issues 4, June 2010, Pages 779-786.
41. S Paul, A Cipitria, SA Tsipas and TW Clyne Sintering Characteristics of Plasma Sprayed Zirconia Coatings Containing Different Stabilisers, Surface and Coatings Technology, Vol. 203, Issue 8, January 2009, Pages 1069-1074
42. IO Golosnoy, S Paul and TW Clyne, ‘Modelling of gas permeation through ceramic coatings produced by thermal spraying’, Acta Materialia, Vol. 56, Issue 4, February 2008, Pages 874-883.
43. L Xie, MR Dorfman, A Cipitria, S Paul, IO Golosnoy and TW Clyne, ‘Properties and performance of high purity thermal barrier coatings’, Journal of Thermal Spray Technology, Vol. 16, Issues 5-6, December 2007, Pages 804-808.
44. S Paul, A Cipitria, IO Golosnoy, L Xie, MR Dorfman and TW Clyne ‘Effects of impurity content on the sintering characteristics of plasma sprayed Zirconia’, Journal of Thermal Spray Technology, Vol. 16, Issues 5-6, December 2007, Pages 798-803.
45. JC Tan, SA Tsipas, IO Golosnoy, JA Curran, S Paul and TW Clyne, ‘A steady-state bi-substrate technique for measurement of the thermal conductivity of ceramic coatings’, Surface and Coatings Technology, Vol. 201, Issues 3-4, October 2006, Pages 1414-1420.
46. NK Mitra, PK Daspoddar, A Basumajumdar, A Gangopadhyay and S Paul, ‘Crystallization of alumina in aluminosilicate matrix’, Journal of the Indian Chemical Society, Vol. 80, July 2003, Pages 723-724.
I am currently supervising several PhD students.
"• Thermal and cold spray coatings
• Materials development characterisation and performance evaluation
• Electrochemistry and Corrosion
• Carbon Capture Utilisation and Storage"
"1. NACE 2019 Nashville 24-28 March 2019 Paper no. 12766 “Behaviour of damaged thermally sprayed aluminium (TSA) in aerated and deaerated seawater”.
2. NACE 2018 Phoenix April 15-19 2018 Paper no. 10653 ""Corrosion performance of Cold Sprayed Tantalum Coatings"".
3. EUROCORR 2017 Prague 04-07 September 2017 Paper No 81036 “Potential use of thermally sprayed aluminium (TSA) in CCS”.
4. NACE 2017 New Orleans March 26-30 2017 Paper No 9007 “Performance of Thermally Sprayed Corrosion Resistance Alloy (CRA) Coatings in 50 MPa Supercritical CO2”.
5. EUROCORR 2016 Montpellier 11-15 September 2016 Paper No 57767 “Corrosion performance of thermally sprayed aluminium (TSA) in simulated deep sea environment”.
6. EUROCORR 2016 Montpellier 11-15 September 2016 Paper No 57777 “Performance of damaged and intact thermally sprayed corrosion resistant alloy (CRA) coatings on carbon steel in supercritical CO2 environments at different temperatures”.
7. ITSC 2016 Shanghai May 10-12 2016 Paper No 4738 “Electrochemical Impedance Spectroscopy of Thermally Sprayed Aluminium in Synthetic Seawater”.