Equal opportunities in mathematics
London Mathematical Society's Good Practice Scheme
We strongly support equal opportunities for all and the advancing of women’s careers within mathematics. As such, we have signed up to the London Mathematical Society’s Good Practice Scheme.
The Scheme sets out five principles of good practice:
- A robust organisational framework to deliver equality of opportunity and reward
- Appointment, promotion and selection processes and procedures that encourage men and women to apply for academic posts at all levels
- Departmental structures and systems that enable men and women to progress and continue in their careers
- Departmental organisation, structure, management arrangements and culture that are open, inclusive and transparent and encourage the participation of all staff
- Flexible approaches and provisions that encompass the working day, the working year and a working life and enable individuals, at all career and life stages, to maximise their contribution to mathematics, their department and institution
Find out more about the London Mathematical Society's Good Practice Scheme.
The Department of Mathematics has been awarded the Bronze Athena SWAN award. This award recognises that, in addition to University-wide policies, the Department promotes gender equality and addresses challenges particular to the discipline.
Find out more about Athena SWAN in the Department of Mathematics.
Women of Mathematics Throughout Europe: A Gallery of Portraits
This exhibition showcased 14 portraits offering an unusual insight into mathematics.
After the exhibition there were talks on the subject of women in mathematics delivered by mathematicians from the University of Leicester. The talks celebrated the different facets of mathematical work done by women in mathematics at the University. Topics spanned from pure mathematics through to mathematical modelling and actuarial science.
Women in the Department of Mathematics
Please prefix all telephone numbers with +44 (0)116 when calling from outside the University.
|Dr Julia Goedecke||Teaching Fellow||MA010b||252 email@example.com|
|Dr Katrin Leschke||Reader, Head of Student Support and Women's Tutor||CH203||252 firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Dr Sheila McCann||Visiting Research Associateemail@example.com|
|Dr Simona Paoli||Lecturer||BEN G57||223 firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Professor Sibylle Schroll||Professor||CH202||252 email@example.com|
|Professor Nicole Snashall||Professor||CH105||252 firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Leena Sodha||Head of Actuarial Science||MA010E||252 email@example.com|
|Tatiana Tyukina||E-Learning Teaching Fellow||MA208||252 firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Dr Aihua Zhang||Lecturer||MA118||252 email@example.com|
- Women in Maths: The School of Mathematical Sciences at the University of Nottingham have made some videos to promote women in mathematics and physics
- Women at the University of Leicester
- International Women's Day at the University of Leicester