EAP Teacher Development Programme
Aims of the EAP Teacher Development Programme
The aims of this two-week course are to give English teachers an insight into the world of EAP (English for Academic Purposes) teaching and to develop their teaching skills in the context of a British university.
Why join the EAP Teacher Development Programme?
- Learn about the fundamentals of teaching EAP from expert practitioners in the field
- Become a more effective teacher by developing teaching skills and increasing understanding of teaching methodology
- Enhance your CV and career prospects
- Take advantage of a unique opportunity to observe EAP teaching in a UK university setting
- Share experiences and network with other English language teaching professionals across countries and institutions
- Access University of Leicester academic resources, both on campus and online.
- To raise awareness of theoretical and practical issues underlying EAP methodology and course design
- To introduce a range of practical classroom applications
- To promote self-awareness and self-directed teacher development
The course is constructed around four overlapping themes:
- The EAP context aims to identify the context surrounding EAP classes: the Higher Education community, beliefs, genres, discourses and practices.
- The EAP practitioner focuses on pedagogic methodology and its implementation in the classroom; materials (design and evaluation) and assessment. Observations, virtual and recorded, are used as a tool to investigate CLT (Communicative Language Teaching) and EAP practice.
- EAP researcher focuses on action research. Participants will be given an overview of this research method and then will, in pairs, conduct research into a topic of interest in their teaching situation for presentation on Friday of Week 2.
- The EAP student examines students existing competences and future needs and expectations; development of study and language skills and independent study.
15 July to 26 July 2024.
- Participants must have a minimum of one year’s experience of teaching English – you will be asked to provide your CV during the application process.
- Participants must have an English level equivalent to IELTS 6.5. Please contact us if you are unsure of your level or have not taken an English test recently.
- Participants must be able to demonstrate an interest in EAP.
- Participants must be aged 18 or over.
- We may invite you to an interview to assess your suitability.
- £1,500 for partners.
Payment is required in full to accept a place on the course. Learn more about The Rachel Abounouar Scholarship.
Erasmus Staff funding can be used to come to the UK for this programme. Please speak to your home University about availability.
- Pre-arrival needs analysis
- A course welcome and induction.
- 40 scheduled hours across two weeks
- Materials and activities for classroom use
- A Virtual Learning Environment to support you before, during and after the course
- Access to university facilities, including the award-winning library
- Self-catered student accommodation – single bedroom with ensuite bathroom and shared kitchen. Bedding and kitchen equipment provided
- A day trip to another city, such as Oxford or Cambridge on Saturday 20th July.
- A trip to a local attraction
- A course completion certificate and written feedback
- A welcome dinner and farewell meal with University of Leicester staff
What's not included
- Airport transfers
- Meals and beverages, unless specified in the timetable
- Visa costs
- Medical and travel insurance
- Access to the university gyms. Short-term membership can be purchased at a cost of £10 per week.
The EAP Teacher Development Programme will take place from 15 July to 26 July 2024. Please be advised that when you have applied, we will ask you to send us your CV or resume in order to decide on your application.
If you have any questions about this course, please contact us on email@example.com.
|Within 14 days of acceptance of place||Full refund|
|On or before 24 June 2024||Half refund|
|After 24 June 2024||No refund|