Penny Marshall Conference
One day symposium: Reflecting on 35 years since Penny Marshall’s Big
In association with BAFTSS
University of Leicester, Friday 19 May 2023, Brookfield Campus
- Dr James Russell (De Montfort University)
- Dr Deborah Jermyn (University of Roehampton)
Registration is now open. Register for the conference.
There is a fee of £20 for waged attendees and conference attendance is free for students (student ID may be required). Lunch and refreshments are included in the conference fee.
Read a draft conference programme: Draft programme (PDF, 655kb).
There will be a conference dinner on Friday 19 May at 6.00pm, this is not included in the conference fee, but we do hope you can join us.
The conference dinner will be at Herb restaurant. This venue is close to hotels and a 5 minute walk from Leicester Railway station.
Big film screening
There will be a brief talk and a public screening of Big at The Phoenix Cinema, Leicester on Thursday 18 May at 6.30pm. We hope that conference attendees will be able to come along. Tickets cost £5 and can be purchased via the Phoenix website.
There is no specific conference accommodation, but we would recommend one of the three following hotels, all of which are close to Leicester Railway Station, Herb Restaurant, The Phoenix Cinema and the conference venue at Brookfield House. Hotel websites are linked below. However cheaper rates may be available via Booking.com.
- 3 minute walk from Leicester Railway Station, 13 minute walk to The Phoenix Cinema, 18 minute walk to Brookfield Campus, 8 minute walk to Herb Restaurant.
- 4 minute walk from Leicester Railway Station, 7 minute walk to The Phoenix Cinema, 24 minute walk to Brookfield Campus, 3 minute walk to Herb Restaurant.
- 10 minute walk from Leicester Railway Station, 5 minute walk to The Phoenix Cinema, 29 minute walk to Brookfield Campus, 8 minute walk to Herb Restaurant.
Parking is available at Brookfield Campus, accessed via Holmfield Road. Use the postcode LE2 1SD.
If you are travelling to Leicester via public transport it is recommended you arrive by train. Leicester Railway station is close to all venues. You can travel between the station and Brookfield Campus using the 31 bus from stop EE outside the railway station. The journey should take approx. 5 minutes (traffic dependent).
See the Leicester buses timetables.