Forthcoming events in the School of Arts
2022-23, Semester 2
- Reflecting on 35 years since Penny Marshall’s Big, one day symposium (University of Leicester, Friday 19 May 2023)
- 'The University of the West Indies and University of Leicester International Summer School: Crime, (In)Justice, Human Rights' (5-10 June 2023. Find out more about the UWI-UoL Summer School and how to apply).
- 'Val McDermid: 10th Annual Creative Writing Lecture: Killing People for Fun and Profit' (Tuesday 9 May 2023, 6.15pm, Peter Williams Lecture Theatre). For further details, please visit the Centre for New Writing.
- Latinx Studies in the UK - Thursday 20 April and Friday 21 April, 2023. Learn more about the event.
- Literary Leicester 2023.
2022-23, Semester 1
- 'Imagine if you can: Thoughts on writing dystopian fiction' - a talk by Paul Taylor-McCartney (Monday 5 December, 4.00pm - 5.00pm, Bennett Building, Room F75a).
- 'Decoding Dickens Online' workshop (19 November 2022, 2.00pm - 3.30pm).
- ‘Creative subtitling as film-transformative practice: from immersion to amazement in Edgar Pêra’s The baron’ - a LeCTIS research seminar featuring Dr Dionysios Kapsaskis, University of Roehampton (Thursday 17 November, 4.00pm-5.00pm, online. Find out more).
- Centre for Victorian Studies Annual Public Lecture: Shrabani Basu, 'Arthur Conan Doyle and the Mystery of the Parsee Lawyer' (16 November 2022, 5.15pm - 6.15pm in Lecture Theatre 1, Attenborough Seminar Block).
- XXII Annual Conference of Women in Spanish and Portuguese Studies (WISPS) (10-11 November 2022, online and in-person).
- ‘Faithfulness versus Loyalty – a poetry-translating point of view’ - a LeCTIS research seminar featuring Professor Francis Jones, Newcastle University (Thursday 3 November, 4.00pm - 5.00pm, online. Find out more).
- ‘Translation of Alternative self-help Books from English into Arabic: Features of Informal Register as a Case Study’ - a LeCTIS research seminar featuring Amjad Alliheibi, University of Leicester (Thursday 27 October, 4.00pm - 5.00pm, online. Find out more).
- 'Things I Wish I’d Known Before Becoming a Writer' - a talk by Professor Kit De Waal (Wednesday 26 October 2022, 2.00pm - 4.00pm, Attenborough Film Theatre).
- 'Other Lives in Samuel Pepys Diaries' - a creative writing pamphlet anthology launch with Dr Kate Loveman (Tuesday 25 October 2022, online).
- 'Translation and Corpus Stylistics' - a LeCTIS research seminar featuring Professor Kirsten Malmkjaer (Thursday 20 October 2022, 4.00pm - 5.00pm, in person).
- Windrush stories: Visiting writer event with Paulette Ramsay (Wednesday 19 October 2022, 5pm, Attenborough Second Floor LR206).
- Social Change And Gender-Based Violence: Representations In Caribbean Literature And Performance Cultures (22-23 September 2022) - a virtual symposium hosted by the University of Leicester and the University of the West Indies.
2021-22, Semester 2
- Victorian Discovery: Celebrating Innovation and Invention in the Long Nineteenth Century (1 July 2022) - a free student-led symposium
- LECTIS Workshop: Translating for Theatre (8 June 2022).
- The Future of ‘WWII France’ in Academia: Contemporary Research Paradigms, Trajectories and Challenges (7-8 June 2022).
- Amitav Ghosh with Clare Anderson, Mark Williams and Caroline Upton: The Climate Emergency: Creating A Dialogue Between Science And The Arts (7 June 2022).
- #SolveItDickens: Hunt the Source (27 May 2022) - a free online workshop to help decoders find source texts for Charles Dickens's mysterious shorthand writing.
- The University of the West Indies and University of Leicester International Summer School (23-27 May 2022) - a week-long intensive programme aimed at postgraduate students and ECRs, focused on the theme 'Cultures and Politics of Protest'.
- Forgotten Popular Culture: Asian Cinema and Film History - an online international conference (23-25 May 2022).
- Larkin at Leicester (19 May 2022) - a public talk.
- Victorian Studies Centre Spring Seminar Series (February to May 2022) - a free series of research seminars examining the global dimensions of Victorian literature and culture.
- Annual Creative Writing Lecture: Val McDermid, 'Killing People for Fun and Profit' (12 May 2022).
- Pint of Science: 'Societal Crises Management', featuring Dr Fransiska Louwagie on 'Youth Perspectives and Political Cartooning on the Covid-19 Pandemic: Public Engagement through the Arts' (10 May 2022).
- Homage to Gianni Celati (27 April 2022) - a round table in Homage to Gianni Celati, at the Italian Cultural Institute, London
- The Dickens Code: 'SolveItDickens: An Introductory Workshop for New Decoders' (22 April 2022).
- English Book Group - an online Book Group for staff and students.
- Literary Leicester (23-26 March 2022) - a free annual literary festival.
- LeCTIS Research Seminar: 'Life After the MA: How to Choose and Use Your Dissertation to Open Doors' (17 March 2022).