Diversity is central to how we approach the past. Work under this theme explores the notion of 'the past' from discrepant and diverse perspectives to generate new and alternative understandings of how the past has unfolded. This research engages with contested heritages in conflict zones, explores post-colonial heritages, and seeks to recover the silenced voices of the socially and historically marginalised. Within this theme, we have particular expertise in the diverse heritages of the MENA region, archaeological heritage under threat, and the place of the classical and medieval pasts in contemporary society.
Carvajal López, Masséglia, Mattingly, O’Sullivan, Samson, Scott, Young
Key research projects
- Claiming the Classical
- Endangered Archaeology in the Middle East and North Africa
- Libyan Antiquities at Risk
- World Heritage at Bat, Oman
- The Archaeological Survey of Sudanese Nubia ASSN 1963-1969
- The Middle Draa Project
Some recent publications
- Cooper, J., A.V.M. Samson, M.A. Nieves, M. Lace, J. Caamano-Dones, P. Kambesis, C. Cartwright, L. del Olmo Frese. 2016. ‘The Mona Chronicle: The archaeology of early religious encounter in the New World." Antiquity 90 (352): 1054-1071.
- Haywood, J. and N. Mac Sweeney. 2018. Homer's Iliad and the Trojan War: Dialogues on Tradition. Bloomsbury.
- Mac Sweeney, N. 2017. ‘Separating fact from fiction in the Ionian migration’. Hesperia 38: 379-421.
- Newson. P. and R. Young. 2017. Post Conflict Archaeology and Cultural Heritage. Routledge.
- Scott, S. 2017. 'Gratefully dedicated to the subscribers': The archaeological publishing projects and achievements of Charles Roach Smith. Internet Archaeology 45.
- Scott, S. 2014. Britain in the classical world: Samuel Lysons and the art of Roman Britain 1780-1820. Classical Receptions Journal, 6 (2): 294-337
- Vieten, R.-M., A. Winter, L.J. Wrapson, A.V.M. Samson, J. Cooper, P.N. Kambesis, M.J. Lace, M.A. Nieves. 2016. "Quantifying the impact of human visitation in two cave chambers on Mona Island (Puerto Rico): Implications for archaeological site conservation." Cave and Karst Science 43: 79-85.