Sir Laurence Howard Rutland Scholarships Fund
The Sir Laurence Howard Rutland Scholarship Fund has been made possible thanks to a generous philanthropic donation. The awards are for students from the County of Rutland, UK, to support their studies at the University of Leicester.
Each successful awardee will be awarded a grant of £2,000 a year for three years*.
The Scheme will support up to two students per year**.
How to apply
Simply complete the application form, providing details of how you meet the scholarship criteria and how you would use the bursary.
You must meet one or more of the following criteria:
- The student being the child of one or both parents who is, or are, or were resident in Rutland at the time of the student’s birth and can produce evidence of the same;
- The student being the grandchild of one or more grandparents who are or were resident in Rutland at the time of the student’s birth and can produce evidence of the same;
- The student having attended primary or secondary level education in Rutland regardless of their current place of residence and that of their parents and can produce evidence of such education;
- At the discretion of the Trustees, any other person with the appropriate secondary level educational qualifications and wishing to enrol on an undergraduate, postgraduate or other degree course at the University who in the opinion of the Trustees has undertaken on a voluntary basis significant activity, research or other service of public benefit to the people and county of Rutland as a whole
Any student who meets one or more of the additional criteria set out below may also be given consideration for the award of a Grant:
- The student is a mature student who in accepting another educational benefit or grant (e.g. for “home fee” status) does not have their eligibility for this Grant affected.
- The student meets one or more of the other criteria set out in the application form (e.g., previously being in local authority care, having refugee status, being the sole carer of a parent or school age siblings, achieving excellence in academic, sports or other pursuits) and can produce evidence of the same.
If your application is successful, we will ask for evidence before confirming your award.
Acceptance of a Sir Laurence Howard Rutland Scholarship Grant does not affect eligibility for any other scholarship or financial aid schemes.
If you have any questions, please contact the Development and Alumni Relations team via email@example.com
* This is subject to a review in years 2 and 3 to check a student’s progress and circumstances.
** The trustees reserve the right to alter the amount and duration of the scheme when awarding.