Employers are increasingly looking for graduates with industry experience. You’ll have the opportunity to undertake a year in industry between your second and third year of study. It is normally a paid position and can take place in the UK or abroad.
Our students have undertaken roles with Microsoft, IBM, Jaguar Land Rover, ASOS, GSK, the NHS, HMRC and PwC.
Benefits of a year in industry
- Helps develop the key skills that graduate employers are looking for
- Expands your professional networks
- Enables you to turn classroom theory into real-world practice
- You will receive your degree with 'a Year in Industry' e.g. BA Management with a Year in Industry
What does the year in industry involve?
Eligibility is dependent on your academic performance. You will be introduced to the year in industry programme in your first year and there will be guided sessions in your second year, including:
- Introduction to the year in industry programme
- Researching placement opportunities
- Making successful applications
- Effective interview techniques
- Preparing for my placement
Students find their own placement with support from the School's dedicated in-house Careers Team. Being accepted onto the programme does not always guarantee you a placement.
Whilst on your year in industry you will continue to be supported by the School of Business. This will include communication with you and your manager, and a visit to your place of work. You will undertake written work to capture your learning from your industry experience.