Café Research is an opportunity for researchers to get together and talk about their research in an informal setting. We run this event four times a year and an evening will typically feature three or four speakers from across the University followed by a meal.
- 23 February 2021, 1.00pm UK Time - Dan Powell “The End of the Short Story”, Jordan Harris “The existence of mixed-race identities in 19th-century Britain”
- 7 July 2021, 5.00pm UK Time, Speakers To Be Confirmed
Images of Research
Images of research is a pictorial competition for our research staff and students. Entrants create an image that communicates their research, findings and passion for their subject which is put on public display on campus.
- 24 November 2021
Doctoral Inaugural Lectures
Our Doctoral Inaugural Lectures celebrate and showcase doctoral graduates who are academically outstanding and who can present their work in an engaging and accessible way. A University highlight and a terrific success with both audiences and those taking part. All lectures are introduced by the Director of the Doctoral College and are followed by a reception.
- 31 March 2021 5.00pm UK Time – Dr Rob Wilks "Making Equality Law Work For Deaf People" and Dr Tunde Huszar "Breaking Ground With New Technologies In Forensic Genetics"
- 28 April 2021 5.00pm UK Time – Dr Hollie Marshall “Imprinted genes in bumblebees may explain why workers commit treason” and Dr Joseph Wanford "Hiding from the host: macrophages as a replicative niche during Klebsiella pneumoniae infection"
- 18 May 2021 5.00pm UK Time – Dr Hannah Smith "Survivability in kidney transfer: exploring the everyday experiences and geographies of kidney failure, dialysis and transplantation" and Dr Helena White - “HIV related tuberculosis in the United Kingdom: epidemiology, practice and control”
- 29 September 2021 5.00pm UK Time – Dr Carrie Crockett and Dr Sam Turnpenney
An opportunity for PhD Researchers to showcase what they can do over the course of a fun day! This event features the Three Minute Thesis Competition and a Poster Final Competition.
- 31 March 2021
Our Researcher Wellbeing Day encourages researchers to take a half day off to support their wellbeing.
- 18 May 2021
Doctoral College Week
The University of Leicester’s postgraduate research students, early career researchers and research staff will be celebrated in a range of events for the third Doctoral College Week, on 22 – 26 February 2021.
With events open to all levels of staff and students, the week will involve development workshops, public lectures, poster competitions and more!
Monday 22 February
- 9.00am Leicester Innovation Week Launch
- 9.00am The Doctoral College Poster Competition
- 2.00pm The Doctoral College Welcome
Tuesday 23 February
- 10.00am Interdisciplinary Conference
- 1.00pm Café Research
Wednesday 24 February
- 11.00am Thinking of Studying a PhD?
- 11.00am Images of Research
- 2.00pm Early Career Researcher Workshop On Research Communications, To Be Run In Partnership With The Howard League
Thursday 25 February
- 10.00am Postgraduate Researcher Employability Day
- 10.00am Early Career Researcher Employability Day
- 4.00pm Leicestershire Live Innovation Awards
Friday 26 February
- 10.00am Innovation Friday
- 12.30pm Lunch with The Doctoral College with Live Stream
- 12.30pm Relaunch of The Doctoral College SharePoint Pages
Lunchtime lectures offer our researchers the opportunity to present their research to the public. Lectures are free and take place on Fridays starting at 12.30pm and last no more than 20 minutes. Date to be confirmed.
Please contact email@example.com for booking information on any of the above events.