Doctoral College Week: 18 - 22 March 2019
Friday 22 March
- 9.00am-1.00pm: Images of Research Roadshow Drop In. Visit Studio One at the Attenborough Arts Centre to see a selection of finalists from the 2018 exhibition.
- 10.00am-12.00pm: Doctoral College Poster Final. Drop in and view the winning College posters from Monday. Venue: Belvoir Park Lounge, Second Floor, Charles Wilson Building
- 10.00am-1.00pm: Basic Lucre. This session is for new Research Staff users of the software that forecasts research project costs. For booking information email firstname.lastname@example.org .
- 1.00pm-2.00pm: Cake & Cafe Research. A special lunch-time café research will occur during DC week, open to current postgraduate researchers. The event will feature 3-4 current postgraduate researchers delivering 10-minute presentations on an aspect of their research. Venue: Maurice Shock Building Room 206 (Pass/ID required)
- 2.00pm-3.00pm: PGR Workshop on Managing your research data. This course is for researchers and research support staff who want to learn more about developing good data management practices, data management planning, data sharing and curation practices throughout the research lifecycle. For booking information email email@example.comVenue: David Wilson IT Room 2. Booking is essential for this event.
- 5.00pm-7.00pm: Postgraduate Researchers Society Social. An evening event for PGRs organised by the University's Postgraduate Student Society and supported by the Doctoral College. Venue: Charles Wilson Room 408.
Spaces are limited for some events so booking is essential.
Any questions regarding #dcweek please forward to Kelly McCormack firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
4 December 2018
- Images of Research. University of Leicester's annual celebration of research at the Doctoral College's Images of Research exhibition.
Monday 18 March 2019
- 10.00am-1.00pm: College Poster Fairs. Postgraduate researchers, selected competitively from the University's doctoral community, will be invited to exhibit their research as a poster presentation and asked to describe their work and its real world implications to a non-specialist audience. The final will be held on Friday 22 March.
- College of Life Sciences, Charles Wilson Belvoir City Lounge
- College of Social Sciences, Arts and Humanities, Venue: Charles Wilson Belvoir Park Lounge
- College of Science and Engineering, Venue: Bennett Building Lower Ground Foyer
- 1.30pm-3.30pm: Beyond the PhD: Whatever Next Drop-In Sessions, Venue: Nicholas Corah Reading Room, 1st Floor David Wilson Library
- 2.30pm-3.30pm: Keynote Speaker Dr Suzie Imber - "Adventures in Space". Booking essential
Tuesday 19 March 2019
- 10.00am-11.00am: Public Engagement for Research (PhDs/ECRs). This session will provide an overview of what public engagement (PE) means within a university setting. It will also provide guidelines on how best to plan research-related PE projects. For booking information email firstname.lastname@example.org
Venue: Room 0.02, Doctoral College, 103-105 Princess Road East.
- 12.00pm-12.30pm: Equality Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) for Early Career Researchers. This session outlines what we mean by Equality, Diversity and Inclusion and the implications of Unconscious Bias. The session provides information about key EDI work at the University of Leicester including Athena SWAN and the Race Equality Charter. For booking information email email@example.com. Venue: Physics Building F20
- 5.00pm-7.00pm: Doctoral Inaugural Lecture. A doctoral inaugural lecture featuring a speaker from College of Social Science and College of Life Sciences will take place on one of the evenings. Venue: Bennett Building, Lecture Theatre 3.
Wednesday 20 March 2019
- 10.00am-12.00pm: Beyond the PhD: Whatever Next Drop-In Sessions, Venue: Nicholas Corah Reading Room, 1st Floor David Wilson Library
- 12.00pm - 4.00pm: Masters Meet Up. Come and meet the postgraduate tutors and find out more about a PhD at Leicester. Venue confirmed on booking.
Thursday 21 March 2019
- 9.00am-5.00pm: IAX College of Life Sciences PGR Workshop " Developing products and services". This session aims to provide people who are considering getting involved in translating scientific research into products and services with an introduction to processes and activities involves in making this happen. For booking information email firstname.lastname@example.org Venue: College Court.
- 11.00am-12.00pm: Beyond the PhD: Whatever Next Drop-In Sessions, Venue: Nicholas Corah Reading Room, 1st Floor David Wilson Library
- 5.00pm-8.00pm: Careers Evening Event. An evening event aimed at postgraduate researchers and research staff to learn specific skills and hear from experts in a certain field to help delegates start thinking about what their next career move could be. For booking information email email@example.comVenue: Lecture Theatre 10, Bennett Building.
- 8.00pm-8.00am: The Big Sleep. Step out of your comfort zone in support of a local charity and register now to help the homeless in Leicester.