I joined ULSB in 2022 as a lecturer in management in the Department of Work, Employment, Management and Organisation. My background is in research with over 20 years of experience working on and successfully managing a range of projects in the careers field to inform policy and practice at the University of Warwick. My research interests focus on the transformation of careers and the labour market, plus how individuals engage with lifelong guidance and learning across the life course, navigate the labour market and the narratives around these transitions and decisions. I have taught within the higher education sector for a number of years, plus designed and delivered face-to-face and online training for careers practitioners, employment service providers and local governments.
I am an undergraduate year stream tutor in the Department of Work, Employment, Management and Organisations.
With an established track record in research, I have worked on and successfully managed a number of projects in the careers field for over 20 years. My international research projects have investigated the transformation of careers and the labour market and the impact of technology on work, plus how individuals engage with lifelong guidance. I have particular expertise in labour market data and its technical applications, focusing on careers, and the use of ICT to support careers practitioners. I have undertaken research for the UK Government, sector bodies, charities and international organisations (such as the EC, OECD, CEDEFOP), the findings of which have been used to inform policy and practice.
I am an experienced researcher and have particular expertise in qualitative research methodologies and data analysis techniques as applied to longitudinal biographical research. Utilising my expertise in different literature review methodologies, I have undertaken a number of reviews on lifelong guidance, career adaptability, career development interventions, employability, self-employment, skills diagnostics and screening tools, the armed forces community and internet-enabled labour exchanges.
Selected peer reviewed journal articles
Kettunen, J., Barnes, S-A., Bimrose, J., Brown, A., & Vuorinen, R. (2023). Career experts' conceptions of systems development in lifelong guidance. International Journal for Educational and Vocational Guidance. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10775-023-09595-x
- Orton, M., Green, A., Atfield, G., & Barnes, S-A. (2018). Employer Participation in Active Labour Market Policy: from Reactive Gatekeepers to Proactive Strategic Partners. Journal of Social Policy 48(3): 511-528. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0047279418000600
- Barnes, S-A., & Brown, A. (2016). Stories of learning and their significance to future pathways and aspirations. British Journal of Guidance and Counselling 44(2): 233-242. https://doi.org/10.1080/03069885.2016.1145194
- Barnes, S-A., Thomsen, R., Weber, P.C., & Barabasch, A. (2016). Special Issue: Learning and career transitions of low qualified adults in Europe. British Journal of Guidance and Counselling 44(2): 141-144. https://doi.org/10.1080/03069885.2016.1150588
- Barnes, S-A., Green, A., & de Hoyos, M. (2015). Crowdsourcing and work: individual factors and circumstances influencing employability. New Technology, Work and Employment 30(1): 16-31. https://doi.org/10.1111/ntwe.12043
- Bimrose, J., Cohen, L., Arnold, J., & Barnes, S-A. (2013) Reframing Careers (editorial), British Journal of Guidance and Counselling 41(3): 219-225. https://doi.org/10.1080/03069885.2013.793512
- Kaschig, A., Maier, R., Sandow, A., Lazoi, M., Schmidt, A., Barnes, S-A., Bimrose, J., Brown, A., Bradley, C., Kunzmann, C., & Mazarakis, A. (2013). Organizational Learning from the Perspective of Knowledge Maturing Activities, IEEE Transactions on Learning Technologies 6(2): 158-176. https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/6475931
- Barnes, S-A. (2012). The differential impact of ICT on employees: narratives from a high-tech organisation, New Technology, Work and Employment 27(2): 120-132. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1468-005X.2012.00283.x
- Brown, A., Bimrose, J., Barnes, S-A., & Hughes, D. (2012). The role of career adapt-abilities for mid-career changers, Journal of Vocational Behaviour 80(3): 754-761. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvb.2012.01.003
- Bimrose, J., Brown, A., & Barnes, S-A. (2008). Reshaping careers, learning and identities: Career attachments as anchors or chains?, Perspectives in Education 26(3): 71-80. https://hdl.handle.net/10520/EJC87484
- Bimrose, J., & Barnes, S-A. (2007). Styles of Career Decision Making, Australian Journal of Career Development 16(2): 20-28. https://doi.org/10.1177/103841620701600205
- Bimrose, J. & Barnes, S-A. (2006). Is career guidance effective? Evidence from a longitudinal study in England, Australian Journal of Career Development 15(2): 19-25. https://doi.org/10.1177/103841620601500205
- Barnes, S-A., Green, A.E., Orton, M., & Bimrose, J. (2005). Redressing gender inequality in employment: the national and sub-regional policy ‘fit’, Local Economy 20(2): 154-167. https://doi.org/10.1080/02690940500053325
Selected book chapters
- Wright, S., & Barnes, S-A., with Behrend, C., Kohlgrueber, M., & Götting, A. (in progress). Interacting skills: High Road strategies for digital transformation. In Oeij, P., Kirov, V., & Pomares, E. (Eds.) Inclusive R&D&I: Practitioner Toolkit.
- Barnes, S-A. (2018). Career services filling the gap: Reconciling labour market mismatches. In: Hogarth, T. (ed) Economy, employment and skills: European, regional and global perspectives in an age of uncertainly. Italy: Quaderni Fondazione Giacomo Brodlini Studi E Ricerche. (pp. 195-208). ISBN 9788895380452
- Green, A., de Hoyos, M., Barnes, S-A., Baldauf, B., & Behle, H. (2015). ICT, internet-enabled work and implications for space and entrepreneurship. In: Mason C., Reuschke, D., Syrett, S., & van Ham, M. (eds.) Entrepreneurship in Cities: Neighbourhoods, Households and Homes. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar. (pp. 58-79). ISBN 978 1 78471 199 3.
- Bimrose, J., & Barnes, S-A. (2010). ‘Gli stili di decision-making professionale: quali implicazioni per la pratica? (Career decision-making styles: Implications for practice?)’, in L. Nota & S. Soresi (Eds.) Sfide e nuovi orizzonti per l'orientamento - 1 Metodologie e buone pratiche. Florence, Italy: Giunti O.S. Organizzazioni Speciali, pp. 216 – 224. ISBN: 978-88-09-74907-8
- Kaschig, A., Maier, R., Sandow, A., Lazoi, M., Barnes, S-A., Bimrose, J., Bradley, C., Brown, A., Kunzmann, C., & Mazarakis, A. (2010). 'Knowledge Maturing Activities and Practices Fostering Organisational Learning: Results of an Empirical Study', in Wolpers, M., Kirschner, P.A., Scheffel, M., Lindstaedt, S. & Dimitrova, V. (eds.) Sustaining TEL: From Innovation to Learning and Practice, pp.151- 166, Berlin: Springer (ISBN 3-642-16019-0)
- Bimrose, J., & Barnes, S-A. (2009). ‘Measuring the effectiveness of career counselling’, in R. Arnold, W. Gieseke & C. Zeuner (Eds) Bildungsberatung im Dialog: Grundlagen der Berufs- und Erwachsenenbildung (Band 61). Baltmannsweiler, Germany: Schneider Verlag Hohengehren Gmbh Publishing Company. (pp.79-96) ISBN 978-3-8340-0554-0.
- Brown, A., Bimrose, J., & Barnes, S-A. (2009). ‘Collaborative work-related learning and technology-enhanced learning’, in R. Maclean & D. Wilson (eds) International Handbook of Education for the Changing World of Work: Bridging Academic and Vocational Learning. Bonn, Germany: Springer Science+Business Media B.V. (Volume 4 part VI, Education for work: research, curriculum development and delivery) ISBN: 978-1-4020-5280-4. (Chapter X.8, pp. 1687-1698).
- Barnes, S-A., & Bimrose, J. (2006). ‘Effective guidance: Transforming clients’ futures’, in Reid, H. & Bimrose, J. (eds) Constructing Futures IV: Transforming Career Guidance. London: Institute for Career Guidance (pp. 21-33). ISBN 0-903076-28-4.
- Bimrose, J., Marris, L., Barnes, S-A., & Mason, A. (2006). ‘Labour Market Information: Broadening horizons and connecting practitioners’, in Reid, H. & Bimrose, J. (eds) Constructing Futures IV: Transforming Career Guidance. London: Institute for Career Guidance (pp. 89-102). ISBN 0-903076-28-4.
Selected published research outputs
Careers education and guidance
- Barnes, S-A. (2023). Evidence on adult career guidance and its role in skills development, ReWAGE Evidence Brief. UKRI/CERIC/University of Warwick.
- Barnes, S-A. (2023). Adult career guidance and its role in skills development. ReWAGE Policy Briefing. UKRI/CERIC/University of Warwick.
- Barnes, S-A., & Bimrose, J. (2021). Labour market information and its use to inform career guidance of young people. An overview of the Labour Market Information System for Careers Guidance in England. Coventry: University of Warwick.
- Barnes, S-A., Bimrose, J., Brown, A., Kettunen, J., & Vuorinen, R. (2020). Lifelong guidance policy and practice in the EU: trends, challenges and opportunities. Luxembourg: Publications Office of the European Union. ISBN 978-92-76-17340-3.
- Barnes, S-A., Bimrose, J., Brown, A., Gough, J., & Wright, S. (2020). The role of parents and carers in providing careers guidance and how they can be better supported: International evidence review. Coventry: University of Warwick. (A practice report is also available)
Bimrose, J., Brown, A., Behle, H., Barnes, S-A., Hughes, D., Andrews, D., Davies, E., & Wiseman, J. (2014). Understanding the link between employers and schools and the role of the National Careers Service (BIS Research paper 206). London: Department for Business, Innovation and Skills.
- Barnes, S-A., Green, A., Batty, E., & Pearson, S. (2017). Key worker models: What key worker approaches, capacity and capabilities are important at different stages of the journey to employment? (TM Case Study Theme Report). Sheffield: Centre for Regional and Economic Development, Sheffield Hallam University and IER University of Warwick.
- Hughes, D., Mann, A., Barnes, S-A., Baldauf, B., & McKeown, R. (2016). An international Literature review: Careers education. London: Education Endowment Foundation.
- Barnes, S-A., Brown, A., & Warhurst, C. (2016). Education as the underpinning system: Understanding the propensity for learning across the lifetime. London: Foresight, Government Office for Science.
- Hughes, D., Adriaanse, K., & Barnes, S-A. (2016). Adult Education. Too important to be left to chance (A report commissioned by the All Party Parliamentary Group for Adult Education (APPG)). London: APPG. (A technical report is also available)
- Bimrose, J., Hughes, D., & Barnes, S-A. (2011). Integrating new technologies into careers practice: Extending the knowledge base. London: UK Commission for Employment and Skills.
- Bimrose, J., Barnes, S-A., & Attwell, G. (2010). An Investigation into the Skills Needed by Connexions Personal Advisers to Develop Internet-based Guidance (Guidance Report). Reading: CfBT Education Trust.
Labour market transitions
- Barnes, S-A., & Wright, S.A. (2019). The feasibility of developing a methodology for measuring the distance travelled and soft outcomes for long-term unemployed people participating in Active Labour Market Programmes. Luxembourg: Publications Office of the European Union. DOI: 10.2767/14458
- CEDEFOP/Bimrose, J., Brown, A., Barnes, S-A., Thomsen, R., Cort, P., Mariager-Anderson, K., Rochet, S., Mulvey, R., Hansen, B., Weber, P., Weber-Hauser, S., Tomassini, M., Zanazzi, S., Kargul, J., Minta, J., Mielczarek, M., & Sprlak, T. (2016). Improving career prospects for the low-educated – The role of guidance and lifelong learning (CEDEFOP Research Paper 54). Luxembourg: Publications Office of the European Union.
- Green, A., Barnes, S-A., Gore, T., & Damm, C. (2016). In-work support: What is the role of in-work support in a successful transition to sustained employment? (TM Case Study Theme Report). Sheffield: Centre for Regional and Economic Development, Sheffield Hallam University and IER University of Warwick.
- Barnes, S-A., Wright, S., Irving, P., & Deganis, I. (2015). Identification of latest trends and current developments in methods to profile jobseekers in European public employment services: final report. Brussels: Directorate-General for Employment, Social Affairs and Inclusion, European Commission.
- Bimrose, J., Brown, A., Barnes, S-A., & Hughes, D. (2011). The key role of career adaptability in skills supply: Main report. London: UK Commission for Employment and Skills.
- Brown, A., Bimrose, J., Barnes, S-A., Kirpal, S., Grønning, T. & Dæhlen, M. (2010). Changing Patterns of Work, Learning and Career Development Across Europe (Final Report EACEA/2007/07). Brussels: Education, Audiovisual and Culture Executive Agency.
- Bimrose, J., Barnes, S-A., & Hughes, D. (2008). Adult career progression and advancement: A five year study of the effectiveness of guidance. Coventry: Warwick Institute for Employment Research/Department for Education and Skills. (All research reports are available)
Armed forces community
- Fisher, N., Newell, K., Barnes, S-A., Owen, D., & Lyonette, C. (2021). Longer-Term Employment Outcomes of Ex-Service Personnel. London: Forces in Mind Trust.
- Lyonette, C., Barnes, S-A., Owen, D., Poole, S., Fisher, N., & Newell, K. (2020). Senior non-commissioned officers and employment after leaving the UK Armed Forces. London: Forces in Mind Trust.
- Lyonette, C., Barnes, S-A., Owen, D., Fisher, N., Newell, K., Kapur, R., & Wing, M. (2018). Self-employment among the Armed Forces Community. London: Forces in Mind Trust.
- Lyonette, C., Barnes, S-A., Kispeter, E., Fisher, N., & Newell, K. (2018). Barriers to spousal employment in the Armed Forces Community. London: Army Families Federation.
- Bowyer, S., Barnes, S-A., Newell, K., & Lyonette, C., (2016). TIN 2.074 Comparing Military Engineering Careers with those in Industry. Farnborough: Defence Human Capability Sciences & technology Centre (DHCSTC).
- Fisher, N., Lyonette, C., Barnes, S-A., & Newell, K. (2015). Current understanding and attitudes to work-life balance in the UK Armed Forces. Farnborough: DHCSTC.
Labour market data and labour market information systems
- Barnes, S-A., Hogarth, T., Wright, S., Baldauf, B., & Cárdenas-Rubio, J. (2022). Labour market information and an assessment of its applications: A series of international case studies (DfE Research report). London: Department for Education.
- Barnes, S-A., Bimrose, J., Hogarth, T., Cárdenas-Rubio, J. with Bosworth, L., Bosworth, D., Day, R., Owen, D., Wilson, R., Attwell, G., & Rustemeier, P. (forthcoming). Enhancing a labour market information database: LMI for All. Stakeholder Engagement and Usage, Data and Technical Developments (2020-2021) (Research report). London: Department for Education. (More information on LMI for All service and reports)
- Barnes, S-A., Hogarth, T., Cárdenas-Rubio, J., Wright, S., Hawthorne, M., Bosworth, D., & Bosworth, L. (2021). Strategic, Accessible Labour Market Intelligence: Labour market demand and supply of skills (Report 1). IER University of Warwick/Skills Development Scotland.
- Barnes, S-A., Bosworth, L., Wright, S., Hawthorne, M., Hogarth, T., Cárdenas-Rubio, J. & Bosworth, D. (2021). Strategic, Accessible Labour Market Intelligence: Digital platform (Report 3). IER University of Warwick/Skills Development Scotland.
I am happy to hear from potential PhD candidates with interests around the following research areas:
- Education and labour market transitions, career pathways and career decision making
- Lifelong guidance and learning across the life course
- Labour market data and its technical applications, focusing on careers
I am currently co-supervising two doctoral students registered at the University of Warwick:
- Andreana Glendinning, Investigating barriers to military veterans entering civilian employment with an emphasis on gender and social inequalities (due to submit in 2023)
- Joanna Octavia, Add me to the group: How informal workers organise and mobilise in the internet age (currently undertaking revisions)
I have supervised a number of doctoral students to successful completion, chaired upgrade panels and acted as an internal examiner.
BA Human resource management and BA Business and management
Module leader: MN1027 Enterprise in Practice (UGT)
Lecturer: MN2027 Labour market trends and debates (UGT)
MSc International management, MSc Management and leadership and MSc Healthcare management
Co-module leader: MN7408 Research methods for managers
MSc Human resource management and training
Lecturer and project supervisor: MN7371 Research methods and dissertation
MN3201 Project (BA Business and management)
MN3203 Project (BA Human resource management)
- 2023, Nordic Journal of Transitions, Careers and Guidance - Special issue 'Digitalisation and digital transformation in guidance', co-editor with Professor Jaana Kettunen (Finnish Institute for Educational Research, University of Jyväskylä)
- 2022-2025, Member of Academic Advisory Board for the Office for Veterans’ Affairs
- 2022, Reviewer for NICE (Network for Innovation in Career Guidance and Counselling in Europe) Academy (Pristina, Kosovo)
- 2022, Reviewer for R&D Management Conference (Trento, Italy)
- 2017 to date, Member of International Association for Educational and Vocational Guidance
- 2019-2021, Invited member of NESTA labour market intelligence network
- 2018-2022, Editorial board member for the Educational Research Review
Reviewer for Nordic Journal of Transitions, Careers and Guidance, British Journal of Guidance and Counselling, Psychological Reports and Social Policy and Society, plus evaluated research applications and outputs for the ESRC, Swiss National Science Foundation, College of Policing and Fonds National de la Recherche (Luxembourg)
Associate Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
Selected keynote, symposia and invited speaker presentations
- Bimrose, J., & Barnes, S-A. (2022). ‘The use of LMI in career guidance and employment services’. Invited presentation as part of the Capacity building programme for ASEAN member states on the use of LMI for better skills anticipation and matching, International Training Center, International Labour Organizaton (30 November 2022).
- Barnes, S-A., & Bimrose, J. (2022). ‘Maximising the effectiveness of LMI in practice’. Invited speaker for Career Development Institute (22 September 2022).
- Wright, S. with Barnes, S-A. (2022). 'Capturing the journey of the long-term unemployed into the labour market'. Invited presentation at Where next for research on active labour market policy and employability-support programmes?, People, Organisations and Work Institute (POWI), De Montfort University, Leicester (21 March 2022).
- Bimrose, J. & Barnes, S-A. (2020). Labour market information (invited speakers). Careers leader professional network meeting. North East Local Enterprise Partnership, 2 December 2020.
Barnes, S-A. (2020). Distance travelled models. Keynote at ESF+ Data Network Meeting, European Commission (21 October 2020).
- Barnes, S-A. (2020). Providing careers labour market information: LMI for All. (keynote) Enhancing Labour Market Relevance and Outcomes (LMRO) of Higher Education. LMRO Partnership Initiative Peer Learning Activities: 1st International Policy and Practice Seminar on Labour Market Information for Learners and Higher Education Institutions, OECD, 30 November 2020.
Selected conference papers and presentations
- Kettunen, J., & Barnes, S-A. (2022). Innovation in career development: Perspectives from Career Development Experts. Paper presentation the IAEVG international conference, COVID-19 and Digital transformation: Choice, Educational Prospects and Employment Challenges. Seoul, Korea (6-8 December).
- Barnes, S-A., Vuorinen, R., Kettunen, J., Bimrose, J., & Brown, A. (2021). Maximising the potential of a lifelong guidance ecosystem. Workshop at the 44th IAEVG online international conference, Maximizing Potential of Career Guidance. Riga, Latvia (19-21 October). (voted 9th highest rated contribution from over a 100 papers)
- Wright, S.A., & Barnes, S-A. (2021). New measures of progression to the labour market: Distance travelled models for the long-term unemployed. Paper presented at the 44th IAEVG online international conference, Maximizing Potential of Career Guidance. Riga, Latvia (19-21 October). (voted 3rd highest rated contribution from over a 100 papers)
- Barnes, S-A., Bimrose, J., & Brown, A. (2021). Supporting parents/carers to engage in careers education. Paper presented at the 44th IAEVG online international conference, Maximizing Potential of Career Guidance. Riga, Latvia (19-21 October).
- Cárdenas-Rubio, J., Barnes, S-A. & Bosworth, D. (2021). Developing online job vacancy data for LMI for All. Exploring Online Job Vacancy Data, ESCoE virtual workshop (In partnership with the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS)), 9 December 2020.
- Bimrose, J. & Barnes, S-A. (2019) The impact of the changing labour market on the practice of career guidance counsellors. Presentation at IAEVG conference ‘Career guidance for inclusive society’, Bratislava (11-13 September 2019). https://iaevgconference2019.sk/
- Postgraduate Award in Teaching and Learning in Higher Education, University of Warwick
- Postgraduate Certificate in Employment Research, University of Warwick
- PhD in Sociology (ESRC Postgraduate Training Award), University of Warwick
- MA in Training and Human Resource Development (Awarded ESRC Advanced Course Studentship), University of Warwick
- BA (Hons) in Sociology and Health Studies with Honours, University of Essex