I am a Research Associate currently working for the NIHR Applied Research Collaboration East Midlands, within the Diabetes Research Centre at the University of Leicester.
I work on a variety of projects relating to chronic disease, multimorbidity, physical activity and health. Currently I am working primarily on a NIHR ARC-EM funded project investigating text message reminders to promote adherence to statins and a NIHR PGfAR project investigating the reduction of cardiovascular disease risk in patients with diabetic foot ulcer disease.
- Nathan P Dawkins, Tom Yates, Charlotte L Edwardson, Ben Maylor, Joseph Henson, Andrew P Hall, Melanie J Davies, David W Dunstan, Patrick J Highton, Louisa Y Herring, Kamlesh Khunti, Alex V Rowlands. Importance of overall activity and intensity of activity for cardiometabolicrisk in those with and without a chronic disease. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise. In Press.
- Hannah ML Young, Thomas Yates, Paddy C Dempsey, Louisa Y Herring, Joseph Henson, Jack Sargeant, Ffion Curtis, Harini Sathanapally, Patrick Highton, Michelle Hadjiconstantinou, Rebecca Pritchard, Selina Lock, Sally J Singh, Melanie Davies. Physical activity and sedentary behaviour interventions for people living with both frailty and multiple long-term conditions: a scoping review protocol. BMJ Open. In Press.
- Patrick J. Highton, Daniel S. March, Darren R. Churchward, Charlotte E. Grantham, Hannah M.L. Young, Matthew P.M. Graham-Brown, Seila Estruel, Naomi Martin, Nigel J. Brunskill, Alice C. Smith, James O. Burton, Nicolette C. Bishop. Intradialytic cycling does not exacerbate microparticles or circulating markers of systemic inflammation in haemodialysis patients. European Journal of Applied Physiology. 2021. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00421-021-04846-7.
- Kamlesh Khunti, Patrick J. Highton, Ghazala Waheed, Helen Dallosso, Emma Redman, Mark E. Batt, Melanie J. Davies, Laura J. Gray, Louisa Y. Herring, Hamidreza Mani, Alex Rowlands, Tom Yates. Promoting physical activity through group self-management support for those with multimorbidity: a randomised controlled trial. British Journal of General Practice. 2021. 2021; BJGP.2021.0172. DOI: https://doi.org/10.3399/BJGP.2021.0172.
- Daniel S March, Ka-Bik Lai, Tracy Neal, Matthew P M Graham-Brown, Patrick J Highton, Darren R Churchward, Hannah M L Young, Maurice Dungey, David J Stensel, Alice C Smith, Nicolette C Bishop, Cheuk Chun Szeto, James O Burton. Circulating endotoxin and inflammation: associations with fitness, physical activity and the effect of a six-month programme of cycling exercise during haemodialysis. Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation. 2021. https://doi.org/10.1093/ndt/gfab178
- Yan Song, Daniel S. March, Annabel Biruete, Brandon M. Kistler, Daniel D. G. Nixon, Patrick J. Highton, Barbara P. Vogt, Nicola Ruddock, Kenneth R. Wilund, Alice C. Smith, PhD, James O. Burton. A Comparison of Dietary Intake Between Individuals Undergoing Maintenance Hemodialysis in the United Kingdom and China. Journal of Renal Nutrition. 2022. https://doi.org/10.1053/j.jrn.2021.03.003
- Daniel S. March, Adam W. Hurt, Charlotte E. Grantham, Darren R. Churchward, Hannah M.L. Young, Patrick J. Highton, Maurice Dungey, Nicolette C. Bishop, Alice C. Smith, Matthew P.M. Graham-Brown, Nicola J. Cooper, James O. Burton. A cost-effective analysis of the CYCLE-HD randomized controlled trial. Kidney International Reports. 2021. DOI:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ekir.2021.02.036
- Matthew P.M. Graham-Brown, Daniel S. March, Robin Young, Patrick J. Highton, Hannah M.L. Young, Darren R. Churchward, Maurice Dungey, David J. Stensel, Nicolette C. Bishop, Nigel J. Brunskill, Alice C. Smith, Gerry P. McCann, Alex McConnachie, James O. Burton. Matthew P.M. Graham-Brown. A randomized controlled trial to investigate the effects of intradialytic cycling on left ventricular mass. Kidney International. 2021. DOI:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.kint.2021.02.027.
- Louisa Y Herring, Helen Dallosso, Sally Schreder, Emily J Smith, Ghazala Waheed, Laura J Gray, Kamlesh Khunti, Tom Yates, Patrick J Highton, Alex V Rowlands, Ian Hudson, Samuel Seidu, Melanie J Davies. Physical activity after cardiac events (PACES) – a group education programme with subsequent text message support designed to increase physical activity in individuals with diagnosed coronary heart disease: a randomised controlled trial. Open Heart Journal. 2021: e001351.
- Patrick J Highton, Amit Mistri, Andre Ng, Karen Glover, Kamlesh Khunti, Samuel Seidu. Evaluating the Use of a Mobile Device for Detection of Atrial Fibrillation in Primary Care. British Journal of Cardiology. 2021. doi:10.5837/bjc.2021.005
- Sherna F. Adenwalla, Roseanne E. Billany, Daniel S. March, Gaurav S. Gulsin, Hannah M. L. Young, Patrick Highton, Darren C. Churchward, Robin Young, Alysha Careless, Clare L. Tomlinson, Gerry P. McCann, James O. Burton & Matthew P. M. Graham-Brown. The cardiovascular determinants of physical function in patients with end-stage kidney disease on haemodialysis. The International Journal of Cardiovascular Imaging 2020. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10554-020-02112-z
- Patrick J. Highton, Michelle Hadjiconstantinou, Sally Schreder, Sam Seidu, Melanie Davies, Kamlesh Khunti. COVID-19, Ethnicity and Cardiometabolic Disease Self-Management in UK Primary Care. Diabetes and Metabolic Syndrome: Clinical Research and Reviews 2020: 14(6): 2241–2243.
- Young HML, March DS, Highton P, Graham-Brown MPM, Churchward DC, Grantham C, Goodliffe S, Will Jones, Mei-Mei Chung, Greenwood SA, Eborall H, Conroy S, Singh SJS, Smith AC, Burton JO. Exercise for people living with frailty and receiving haemodialysis: a mixed-methods randomised controlled feasibility study. BMJ Open 2020;10:e041227. doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2020-041227
- Nathan P. Dawkins, Tom Yates, Charlotte L. Edwardson, Ben Maylor, Melanie J. Davies, David Dunstan, Patrick J. Highton, Louisa Y. Herring, Kamlesh Khunti & Alex V. Rowlands. Comparing 24 h physical activity profiles: Office workers, women with a history of gestational diabetes and people with chronic disease condition(s). Journal of Sport Sciences 2020: 1-8. DOI: 10.1080/02640414.2020.1812202
- Patrick J. Highton, Alice E.M. White, Daniel G.D. Nixon, Thomas J. Wilkinson, Jill Neale, Naomi Martin, Nicolette C. Bishop, Alice C. Smith. The influence of acute moderate-to-high intensity aerobic exercise on markers of immune function and microparticles in renal transplant recipients. The American Journal of Physiology – Renal Physiology 2019; 318: F76-F85.
- Patrick J. Highton, Fernanda R. Goltz, Naomi Martin, David J. Stensel, Alice E. Thackray, Nicolette C. Bishop. Microparticle Responses to Aerobic Exercise and Meal Consumption in Healthy Men. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise 2019; 51(9): 1935-1943.
- Patrick J. Highton, Naomi Martin, Alice C. Smith, James O. Burton, Nicolette C. Bishop. Microparticles and Exercise in Clinical Populations. Exercise Immunology Review 2018; 24: 46-58.
- Young HML, March DS, Graham-Brown MPM, Jones AW, Curtis F, Grantham CS, Churchward DR, Highton P, Smith AC, Singh SJ, Bridle C, Burton JO. Effects of intradialytic cycling exercise on exercise capacity, quality of life, physical function and cardiovascular measures in adult haemodialysis patients: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Nephrology Dialysis Transplant 2018, 1-10.
- Highton PJ, Neale J, Wilkinson TJ, Bishop NC, Smith AC. Physical Activity, Immune Function and Inflammation in Kidney Patients (the PINK Study): A Feasibility Study Protocol. BMJ Open 2017;7: e014713.
- H.M.L. Young, D. March, D. Churchward, C. Grantham , P. Highton, M.P.M. Graham-Brown, S.J. Singh, A.C. Smith, J.O. Burton. Practice tests are required for physical function testing in a haemodialysis patients. Physiotherapy 2016; 102: e261.
I am currently supervising a PhD student in the area of barriers to insulin initiation in ethnic minority populations.
Press and media
Multimorbidity physical activity and health