Module code: ED7505
This module aims to introduce you to some core considerations in Second Language Teacher Education. The key to effective teacher education is considered to be the bringing together of relevant theory (abstract, de-contextualised, collective thought) with practice (individual, contextually bound, constrained teacher action) into a productive conversation. The module provides an overview of models of teacher learning and includes consideration of a range of practical activities which contribute to the English language teacher’s continuing professional development.
- What teacher education is and what the difference is between teacher education, teacher training and teacher development.
- Models of teacher education - the traditional or craft model, the applied science model, and the reflective model.
- Teacher thinking (teacher cognition): what affects how teachers think and the impact on what teachers do in the classroom.
- Considerations in designing a teacher education programme.
- Supervision, mentoring and giving feedback on observed teaching practice.
- Activities for teacher education, including classroom observation and classroom-based research.
- Approaches to on-going teacher development.