Widening participation requirements
For 2022 entry
Applicants must meet the two essential criteria (group A) and meet one or two other criteria (group B) depending on the individual circumstances.
Essential criteria (group A)
must meet both the criteria:
- You are due to complete, or have recently completed, your A-levels/BTEC/IB/equivalent (completion should be no longer than two years prior to the start of the course) and have not already attended any higher education institution.
- You attended a state school for GCSEs
Other criteria (group B)
meet one of the following:
- You are, or have previously been, in local authority care/looked after (a confirmation letter from the local authority is required)
- You have refugee status (a letter from the Home Office is required)
meet a minimum of two criteria from the following:
- Live in a neighbourhood with low young participation in higher education within the United Kingdom - your postcode must be in quintile 1 or 2 in POLAR4 young participation (postcode look-up) OR Live in a neighbourhood with a high level of multiple deprivation - your postcode must be in decile 4 or below in the Index of Multiple Deprivation (postcode look-up)
- Live in a household with an income of no more than £35000 OR Students who receive a UCAT Bursary award OR Students who have been in receipt of free school meals (documentary evidence required)
- Students who attended a state school for GCSEs where the Attainment 8 score is below the national average. For 2022 entry, GCSE performance in 2020 will be considered according to the Department for Education performance tables. 2019 data will be used if 2020 data is not available
- Students who belong to one of the priority engagement groups which include students from Gypsy, Roma and Traveller communities, and children of military families (a confirmation letter from your school is required)
- Students living independently of parents (for at least the last 6 months) due to situations of family breakdown or 'estrangement'. (a confirmation letter from your school is required)
- Students from a home where neither parent/carer attended university in the UK or abroad. (Declaration form will be required)
- Students who are the sole carer of a parent(s) or, if living away from home, you are the sole carer of a sibling (a confirmation letter from your school is required)
- Students who have successfully completed the Realising Opportunities programme. (The Realising Opportunities programme provides additional support to students to ensure they are equipped with all the skills they need to succeed at university. The University of Leicester is proud to be a partner University and supporting these students into university study is part of our Access and Participation Plan. Most students accepted onto the RO programme will also meet other criteria set out above.)
Widening participation evidence
If you meet the criteria in Group A you may be emailed by the Admissions Team, after 15 October, to provide evidence for the Group B criteria.
Please do not submit this evidence before being emailed as you will have to complete a form to enclose with your evidence.
Due to the volume of applications, we cannot confirm when your evidence has been received. We also cannot send evidence back, so please ensure that you do not send original copies of documents to us.