KIT - Japanese Language Programme Appilcation
Who can participate? All undergraduate and post-graduate students at the University of Leicester with the exception of Final Year Students.
The following criteria will be used in selecting participants. We encourage students from all departments, with an interest in Japanese language and culture, to apply. However, preference may be given, in the stated order, to students:
- Taking Japanese language courses at Languages at Leicester, at any level;
- Taking degrees (or post-graduate students) that don't have a summer school or year abroad;**
- Who belong to any of the following departments, as listed in order:
- School of Engineering or Chemistry (up to 4 places)
- Computing, or Mathematical Sciences, or School of Geography, Geology and the Environment, or Physics and Astronomy. (up to 5 places)
- School of Business (up to 2 places)
- School of Arts (up to 2 places)
- Any other UoL Students
** If your degree or post-grad includes a summer school and/or year abroad, but you haven't participated in any of them, please state this on your application, as you may be given preference as stated above
Application process and dates
Applicants are required to submit the following information/documents by TBC
(please CLICK on each point to download documents)
- Students registration
- Background in Japanese
- (Scanned) Copy of your passport (the photo page)
- A digital photo for student ID card (Sized 4 x 3 cm, named as follows: “your name – University of Leicester”)
- Participants statement
- Essay** (A letter – preferably hand-written – introducing yourself to the future host family)
** Participants will spend half a day with a Japanese hosting family. The Essay is a letter to introduce themselves to the family.
- For applicants with previous knowledge of Japanese languages (equivalent to Level A2 or above):
The letter, written in Japanese, will be used to gauge the applicants’ proficiency level. Therefore, write the text to show how much you can write in Japanese, without the assistance of a native Japanese speaker. You can use dictionaries and/or textbooks, but no machine translations are acceptable. The topics may include your name and nickname, hometown, studies, future dreams/plans, interests/hobbies, food preferences or restrictions, your family, etc. Write at least TEN sentences. A hand-written letter is preferable, but a MS Word file text is also acceptable. Letters will be given to the local host families before the students visit them for half a day.
- For applicants with no previous knowledge of Japanese languages (beginners):
The letter can be written in English. The topics may be the same to those written by proficient learners as above. Your letter will be passed on to the future host family. Candidates are required to submit Applications by TBC at noon by email to firstname.lastname@example.org including the following subject: "Application to KIT-JLP Summer - (your full name)"
Applicants will be informed on the result of their application by TBC
Subsequently, selected applicants may be required to attend a brief interview on TBC
The list of 10 participants with the full scholarship will be required to complete the following requirements by TBC.
- Full Immunization History (Document will be provided later)
- International Travel Insurance
- KIT School Insurance (cost would be around ¥ 5,000 - about £35 - This will be confirmed at a later point)
KIT-JLP Summer – Introductory / application support
On TBC we will carry out a Q&A Session to help students with applications. It will take place in the Attenborough Film Theatre (Lower Ground Floor of the Attenborough Seminar Block).
If you wish to attend, please state your attendance: CLICK HERE. After clicking an email will pop-up (to email@example.com, with subject included), please send it!
Further details on the KIT-JLP Summer can be found on Kanazawa website
If you have any questions please contact Martin Agnone at the Languages at Leicester department (firstname.lastname@example.org).