The conference in brief
- The conference is for Earth Sciences teachers which will join us for three days here at Leicester. Our programme includes talks and workshops with ideas for class-room teaching.
- Main event is Saturday which includes workshops from which delegates can select and get training in or take away ideas for their classroom and field-based teaching.
- Participate in two expert-led exam board training sessions lead by Eduqas and OCR.
- Field classes will be provided on Sunday the last day of the conference.
Friday 23 September 2022
1.00pm Registration: Tea and Coffee
2.00pm – 5.30pm Research Showcases and Campus Tours
5.45pm – 7.00pm Welcome Note and Keynote Lecture, Gawen Jenkin (Centre for Sustainable Resource Extraction) 'How do we get the Metals for Clean, Green Technology?'
7.00pm– 9.00pm Drinks Reception and Buffet Supper
Saturday 24 September 2022
8.15am – 9.00am Registration: Tea and Coffee
9.00am – 12.30pm Workshops and two exam board training session by Eduqas and OCR. Including Tea and Coffee Break
12.30pm – 1.30pm Lunch
1.30pm – 2.15pm Keynote Lecture, Suzie Imber (Planetary Sciences) 'Mercury: First Rock from the Sun'
2.15pm – 2.30pm ESTA Annual General Meeting (members)
2.30pm – 2.45pm Tea and Coffee
2.45pm – 5.30pm Bring and Share Session (teachers share and showcase their teaching ideas)
Sunday 25 September 2022
We are planning to offer a variety of field classes exploring the local countryside but also closer ventures for those with less time.
Our options include the following:
- The Geology of Bradgate Park
- Building stones of Leicester – A restoration project for students
- Urban Geology and the Anthropocene
- A Brief Introduction to Cartography (GIS course)