Environmental sustainability examines the interaction between people and their surroundings.
The challenge is to make use of natural resources whilst safeguarding their availability for future generations. As the world’s population grows, the need to make the best use of the resources we have becomes ever more important.
At the University of Leicester we perform cutting-edge, interdisciplinary research to ease the complex interactions between human activity and our physical environment.
Our interests focus on four areas:
- Climate change - protecting the climate from human impact
- Resource efficiency - preventing depletion of resources, minimising environmental impact and preserving security of materials
- Renewable energy - developing secure, affordable, sustainable and scalable solutions for the future
- Built environment - developing cities that make minimal impact on the environment and increase the quality of living
We have a number of established services for business:
- CityScan - measuring air pollution
- RAFT - Real-time Air Fingerprinting Technology that measures trace constituents in air
- iTRAQ - dynamic traffic management system to optimise the road network