The following posters were displayed at the Midlands Racial Equality in Medicine Network Conference on 11th March:
1. An Extended Literature Review on the Racial Disparities that Exist in the Management of Sickle Cell Disease in the UK.
Folasade Feyisetan - Lincoln Medical School
2. An Exploration of Ethnic Inclusivity within Anatomical Education
Aisia Lea, Etomi Akpala, Zainab Hammad - School of Medicine, University of Nottingham, Nottingham; Yvonne Mbaki, Natasha Noel-Barker, Deborah Merrick - School of Life Sciences, University of Nottingham, Nottingham
3. Birthplace decisions, perceptions of home birth and experiences of maternity care among women from ethnic minority backgrounds in the UK: a phenomenological study.
Donya Mighty, Fleur Overington, Professor Debra Bick - Warwick Clinical Trials Unit, Warwick Medical School, University of Warwick, Coventry, UK
4. How do religious and cultural factors impact the haemodialysis experience of ethnic minority patients?
Adya Trivedi - School of Medicine, University of Leicester; Professor James Burton - Department of Cardiovascular Sciences, University of Leicester; Dr Victoria Cluley - Department of Cardiovascular Sciences, University of Leicester
5. The Effect of Ethnicity on Gut Microbiome in Patients with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: A Systematic Literature Review
Aishah Khokhar, Medical Student, Warwick Medical School; Professor Harpal Randeva, R&D Director, UHCW; Dr Timothy Robbins, UHCW; Lukasz Lagojda, CEBI S Specialist, UHCW
6. What are the barriers to clinical trial participation for patients from ethnic minority backgrounds and how might these be overcome?
Emilia Postaleniec in affiliation with HOPE Cancer Clinical Trials Centre, Leicester
7. Exploring the Healthcare Experiences and Perspectives of Second and Third Generation British South Asians: A Qualitative Study
Linta Nasim - University of Warwick, University of Edinburgh
8. Exploring institutional racism within health and social care research: a systematic literature review.
Sanjana Susarla - Warwick Medical Student; Oseremen Okhilua - Warwick Medical Student
9 The landscape of organ donation in the BAME community
Mikail Javaid - Warwick Medical School
10. Effect of Abortion Bans on Women of Marginalized Communities: A Review of the Literature.
Joshua T. Aduba - Buckingham Medical School
11. Comparing susceptibility and severity of vitamin D deficiency induced dilated cardiomyopathy between Black African and South Asian paediatric patients – a systematic review
Amasha Kottearachchi - Warwick Medical School; Yin-Ling Lin (Second author/Project Supervisor)
12. Decolonising the Curriculum
Dr Karen Adams, Alexandra Ashaye Dr Alan Harper, Fejiro Okagbare, Dr Audrey Skidmore - Keele Medical School
13. Identifying and Exploring the Factors that Underlie the Persistent Elevated Risk of Maternal Mortality among Black & Asian Women in the UK.
Muna Muse Roble - Lincoln Medical School
14. The Consequences of The Underrepresentation and Mischaracterisation of Race Within Medical Education
Rohit Ramesh - University of Nottingham
15. How can we better understand and address the issue of alcoholism in the British Sikh Punjabi community? Based on the above, how can the medical school curriculum be improved so clinicians can better meet the needs of the British Sikh Punjabi community and diverse communities in general? A Narrative Literature Review.
Ankita Kochhar - University of Leicester, Leicester, United Kingdom; Queen Mary University of London, London, United Kingdom; Megan Clinch - Queen Mary University of London, London, United Kingdom