Headstart Academic Skills Programme
The Headstart Academic Skills Programme is a two-week preparation course aimed at giving international students training in key academic skills in preparation for university study in the UK.
|An unconditional offer for a University of Leicester academic programme|
||Tier 4 Visa
||Monday 6 September to Friday 17 September 2021.
||26 July 2021
Please note that this is not a substitute for a pre-sessional course and successful completion would not meet entry requirements for University of Leicester academic programmes requiring IELTS 6.5 for entry.
The Headstart Academic Skills Programme is ideal for international students who wish to develop academic skills and familiarise themselves with UK study culture in a supportive environment. It is designed to give students a head start in their academic studies, avoid common pitfalls and inspire them to success.
You will learn how to write an academic essay on your field of study and will receive feedback not only on your language, but also your development of UK academic cultural competencies.
The Headstart Academic Skills Programme helps students to:
- Prepare students for written assignments and projects that they will be expected to complete during their academic studies.
- Develop students’ subject-specialist language and study skills in preparation for academic courses.
- Give an understanding of differences in academic values and expectations between the UK and students’ home countries.
- Familiarise students with British universities’ teaching methodologies, online facilities and resources.
Students will get personalised support in planning, researching, drafting and writing a 1,500 word essay in their area of academic study. The process is covered from start to finish with topics including:
- Understanding the question
- Critical thinking
- Referencing and citation
- Receiving feedback
- Maximum class size of 16, allowing students to learn through interaction with the tutor and other students.
- Friendly and supportive tutors with expertise and experience in teaching study skills.
- High-quality materials delivered on the University’s online learning platform included in the tuition fee.
- Personalised support and feedback, including in areas such as pronunciation and grammar.
- Students will be registered students of the University of Leicester and have full access to the award winning David Wilson library.
- Certificate of completion.
Why study the Headstart Academic Skills Programme?
- Adapt to British study culture before starting an academic course in the UK.
- Become familiar with the university and with the city of Leicester before you start your university course.
- Understand how to successfully write a university assignment, gaining confidence in your academic writing skills.
- Develop key academic skills, such as critical thinking and using sources effectively, and learn how to avoiding pitfalls such as plagiarism.
- Familiarise yourself with academic and subject-specific English vocabulary.
- Refresh your skills and regain focus after a gap from previous university studies.
- Add to your CV.
Email enquiries can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.