The Diagnostics Development unit can in principle tackle diagnosis of disease in following areas:
- skin conditions
- rashes and allergies
- respiratory problems
- urinary/gynaecology problems
- drug overdose
- detection of smokers.
Initial projects under planning
- liver disease
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease
- detection of infections, e.g. c.difficile.
Initial proof of concept studies regarding asthma are already underway with encouraging results.
Positive proof of concept measurements using cardio-vascular measurements techniques have also been conducted for sepsis.
- Imaging of face, hands and other body areas to detect metabolic and blood distribution and oxygenation state (TBC) along with core and peripheral temperature distribution
- Spectral analysis of body fluids e.g. urine
- Gas analysis for Volatile Organic Compounds in breath or head space analysis of sweat, urine and faeces to detection bacterial and metabolic products
- Measurement of nitrogen oxides Cardio-vascular and body state monitors to measure cardiac output and systemic vascular resistance, tissue oxygenation.