Become a Mentor
For many students, the transition from university to graduate employment can be a challenging and sometimes overwhelming experience.
To help overcome these difficulties, the Professional Mentoring Programme connects students with alumni and professionals who mentor students during this transition.
As a professional mentor, you can help inspire the next generation by supporting students through sharing your work experiences and industry insights.
There are many professional and personal benefits to be gained by becoming a mentor on the programme, including:
- Satisfaction of helping students to develop and aiding their transition from university to the work place
- Developing links with the university and its community
- Expanding your professional network
- Gaining insight into the graduate market and understanding issues facing current graduates
- Opportunity to identify talent for the sector and share industry knowledge
How flexible is the programme?
The programme is designed to work flexibly around your work and personal commitments. It is between you and your mentee to decide when is most convenient to arrange your meetings within this time.
The method of contact you have with your mentee is also flexible on the programme with face-to-face, Skype, phone and email all possible ways of communicating. This allows alumni and professionals the opportunity to mentor on the programme whether they are located in the local area or further afield.
The mentoring programme is run by the University's Careers Development Service. Should you wish to become a mentor, please get in touch with the Professional Mentoring Programme Co-ordinator at email@example.com.