Terms of Reference and Membership 2022-23
To oversee the continuous development and implementation of the University’s Research Inspired Education Strategy, and the underpinning institutional regulatory and policy framework with due regard to the student interest in all consideration and decision making.
- To formulate, continuously develop and enhance the Education Strategy, embedding excellence and ensuring articulation with the University’s wider Strategic Plan.
- To monitor the Implementation Plan for the Education Strategy, receiving regular reports to ensure effective implementation and monitor key projects.
- To identify key strategic risks and mitigate risks to the effective implementation of the Strategy, recommending areas for management action.
- To approve new aligned strategies or major amendments to existing aligned strategies for Education such as the University’s Learning Spaces Strategy, Assessment Strategy and Employability Strategy.
- To consider amendments to Senate Regulations for submission to Senate for approval.
- To approve, monitor and review University level policy and procedure, and academic codes of practice relating to learning, teaching, assessment and quality assurance for taught programmes, ensuring the ongoing maintenance of academic standards.
- To oversee strategic alignment of Education, student support and wellbeing activities, to maximise student success and outcomes.
- To provide reports to Senate regarding the operation of academic quality assurance processes and the management of academic risk within the institution, to feed into the Annual Assurances given by Council.
- To have strategic oversight of the enhancement of student employability and to receive reports on such activities.
- To consider and approve the University’s Access and Participation Plan and associated monitoring requirements for submission to the Office for Students.
- To monitor relevant internal and external development to inform future strategy and policy, and making recommendations as appropriate to Senate.
- To receive reports from other bodies within its sub-structure, considering enhancement opportunities and providing feedback, ensuring a continuous improvement approach to quality enhancement across the University.
- To have due regard to protecting the student interest in all consideration and decision making, including ensuring compliance with Consumer Rights legislation and student protection requirements.
- To consider, record and address the potential equal opportunity impacts of decisions made by the Committee (in accordance with the ‘due regard’ provisions of the Equality Act 2010).
- Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Education) (Chair): Professor Liz Jones - Ex officio
- Deputy Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Education): Professor Sandeep Handa - Ex officio
- The College Deans of Education:
- Professor Karl Herbert (CLS) - Ex officio
- Professor Merv Roy (CSE) - Ex officio
- Ms Tracey Dodman (CSSAH) - Ex officio
- Dean of Flexible and Distance Learning: Professor Roger Dickinson - Ex officio
- Dean of Personal Tutoring: Dr Richard Craggs - Ex officio
- Four further members of the academic staff of the University:
- Dr Tessa Webb (CLS) - 3 years
- Vacant (CSE) - 3 years
- Dr G Fox (CSSAH) - 3 years
- Dr Helen Dexter (CSSAH) - 3 years
- Academic Registrar: Ms Nuala Devlin - Ex officio
- University Librarian: Mr Steve Williams - Ex officio
- Lay member of Council (appointed by Nominations Committee): Vacant - 1 year, and can be renewed for one further term
- Students' Union (SU) Education Officer: Ms Anne Marie Deeb - 1 year, which may be renewed should the post-holder be re-elected
- Students' Union representative, nominated by the SU: TBC - 1 year, which may be renewed should the post-holder be re-elected
- Head of Education Services: Mrs Dawn Kemp - Ex officio
- Director of Student Opportunity: Mr Rob Fryer - Ex officio
In attendance as required:
- Director of Admissions and Applicant Experience: P Dalby
- Head of Diversity, Equality and Inclusion: A Pears
- Two hour meetings every second month
- Annual away day
- Quorum: 50% of the membership
Receives reports from
- Curriculum and Quality Sub-Committee
- Student Wellbeing and Inclusivity Sub-Committee
- Student Skills and Employability Sub-Committee
- Learning Environment Sub-Committee