Terms of Reference and Membership 2020-21
To oversee the continuous development and implementation of the University’s Education Strategy, and the underpinning institutional regulatory and policy framework with due regard to the student interest in all consideration and decision making.
- To formulate, continuously develop and enhance the Education Strategy, embedding excellence and ensuring articulation with the University’s wider Strategic Plan.
- To monitor the Delivery Plan for the Education Strategy, set targets and key performance indicators and monitor progress against these.
- To identify key strategic risks and mitigate risks to the effective implementation of the Strategy, recommending areas for management action.
- To review and approve aligned strategies such as the University’s Learning Spaces Strategy and Assessment Strategy.
- To consider amendments to Senate Regulations for submission to Senate for approval.
- To approve, monitor and review University level policy and procedure, and academic codes of practice relating to learning, teaching, assessment and quality assurance for taught programmes.
- To oversee strategic alignment of learning and teaching activities with wider student life activities, to ensure delivery of a coordinated and integrated student experience.
- To provide reports to Senate regarding the operation of academic quality assurance processes and the management of academic risk within the institution, to feed into the Annual Assurances given by Council.
- To provide strategic oversight and governance of the University’s ongoing registration as an Approved Provider with the Office for Students, ensuring that all associated compliance requirements are met.
- To monitor relevant internal and external development to inform future strategy and policy, and making recommendations as appropriate to Senate.
- To receive reports from other bodies within its sub-structure, considering enhancement opportunities and providing feedback, ensuring a continuous improvement approach to quality enhancement across the University.
- To have due regard to the student interest in all consideration and decision making.
- To consider, record and address the potential equal opportunity impacts of decisions made by the Committee (in accordance with the ‘due regard’ provisions of the Equality Act 2010).
- Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Education) (Chair): Professor Graham Wynn - Ex officio
- Deputy Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Education): Vacant - Ex officio
- The College Deans of Education:
- Dr Karl Herbert (CLS) - Ex officio
- Dr Sandeep Handa (CSE) - Ex officio
- Dr Liz Jones (CSSAH) - Ex officio
- Dean of Flexible and Distance Learning: Professor Roger Dickinson - Ex officio
- Dean of Personal Tutoring: Dr Richard Craggs - Ex officio
- Four further members of the academic staff of the University:
- Professor Colin Hewitt (CLS) - 3 years
- Dr Hugo Williams (CSE) - 3 years
- Dr Jacob Siefert (CSSAH) - 3 years
- Dr Helen Dexter (CSSAH) - 3 years
- Academic Registrar: Mrs Louise Masterman - Ex officio
- University Librarian: Mr Neil Donohue (Interim) - Ex officio
- Director of Leicester Learning Institute: Dr Frances Deepwell - Ex officio
- Lay member of Council (appointed by Nominations Committee): Mrs Janet Arthur - 1 year, and can be renewed for one further term
- Students' Union (SU) Education Officer: Mr Adnan Rahman - 1 year, which may be renewed should the post-holder be re-elected
- Students' Union representative, nominated by the SU:
- Ms Jemima Tranter - 1 year, which may be renewed should the post-holder be re-elected
- Mr Ismaeel Hitar - 1 year, which may be renewed should the post-older be re-elected
- Head of Education Strategy Unit: Mrs Dawn Kemp - Ex officio
- Head of Diversity, Equality and Inclusion: Dr Angie Pears - Ex officio
- Two hour meetings every second month
- Annual away day
- Quorum: 50% of the membership
Receives reports from
- Quality and Standards Sub-Committee
- Student Partnerships Sub-Committee
- College Education Committees
- Student Wellbeing Sub-Committee
- Flexible and Distance Learning Sub-Committee
- Education for Sustainable Development Working Group*
- Competition and Markets Authority Steering Group as required*
- Reputation, Recruitment and Performance Board*
- Access and Participation Plan Steering Group*
*sit outside the governance structure