Our net zero plus plan commits the University to reach net zero (all scopes) by 2040.
However, how we get there is important as early action reduces cumulative emissions and can significantly reduce our overall negative impact.
The University of Leicester is unusually ambitious as we include all scopes within our net zero target:
- If we cause it, we report it
- If we pay for it, we count it under net zero (if it’s in our financial statement, we include it in the net zero target).
Offsetting our carbon emissions is not yet a strategic priority whilst our focus is on reduction emissions, although we are a member of the Carbon Coalition to enable colleagues to offset relevant research activities where appropriate.
- Our initial focus will be to establish the sequestration (carbon absorption) baseline (and therefore potential) of our green space
- We are one of ten universities taking part in the pilot University and College Land for Carbon project
- An offset policy and plan will be developed in line with sector and Government guidance.