College of Social Sciences, Arts and Humanities Masters Excellence Scholarship
The Masters Excellence Scholarships are available to new UK/EU applicants registering for a full- or part-time, campus-based Masters degree within the College of Social Sciences, Arts and Humanities from the following departments:
- Archaeology and Ancient History
- Modern Languages
- History of Art and Film
- Media and Communications
- Museum Studies
Four Masters Excellence Scholarships are available, each providing a full fee waiver and £9,000 stipend.
These scholarships are intended to support applicants with excellent undergraduate records and who have the capacity to complete a Masters degree at Distinction level.
If successful, you will be expected to apply for a PhD at the University of Leicester after completing your Masters. You will also be expected to apply for a three-year (full-time) or five-year (part-time) PhD studentship from the Midlands4Cities Doctoral Training Partnership (supported by the Arts and Humanities Research Council), for more information about the current Midlands4Cities Doctoral Partnership please visit Midlands4Cities Doctoral Training Partnership. You will receive mentoring and support in developing your project proposal and writing your applications for both the PhD itself and the PhD studentship.
- A good second class undergraduate degree or an equivalent overseas qualification*
- Standard English language requirements
- Scholarships will be awarded on the basis of the overall strength of the application - including consideration of previous academic attainment, relevant experience, references, and the personal statement
- Available to UK/EU applicants only
- Available for full- or part-time campus based study (subject to availability)
- You must be able to start in the 2019-20 academic year
* or show evidence of achieving this before the start of the Masters degree
Informal enquiries are welcome - please contact Professor Neil Christie:
+44 (0)116 252 2617
- Apply for a course within the College of Social Sciences, Arts and Humanities and supply the relevant supporting documents for your application including - two references (including at least one academic reference), evidence of your academic qualifications, and evidence that you meet our English language entry requirements (if English is not your first language).
- Complete the additional Masters Excellence Scholarships application form (Word, 44kb). Your application form should be returned by email to email@example.com by the deadline. The Masters Excellence Scholarship application form will ask you to include the following:
- A brief personal statement (1,000 words maximum) that tells us why you wish to study your chosen course, how your previous academic and/or professional experience has given you the skills needed for postgraduate level study, and how taking this course will support your personal and/or professional development plans
- An indication of the research area which you would like to pursue in a future PhD programme
- Applications for the scheme will be assessed by a cross-College panel using the following criteria: eligibility (UK/EU applicants only; academic and/or professional background in the arts and humanities); academic background; relevant professional experience (if applicable); personal statement; references.
Important advice for applicants
- Both the online application and the Masters Excellence Scholarships application form must be submitted by the deadline which is 31 May 2019.
- Applicants who do not submit a fully completed Masters Excellence Scholarships application form will not be considered.