College of Social Sciences, Arts and Humanities Masters Excellence Scholarship
The Masters Excellence Scholarships are available to new UK applicants registering for a full- or part-time, campus-based Masters degree within the College of Social Sciences, Arts and Humanities in the following subject areas:
- American Studies
- Business Studies
- History of Art and Film
- Human Geography
- Media and Communications
- Modern Languages
- Museum Studies
- Politics and International Relations
Four Masters Excellence Scholarships are available, each providing a full fee waiver and £9,000 stipend.
These scholarships are intended to support applicants with excellent undergraduate records and who have the capacity to complete a Masters degree at Distinction level.
If successful, you will be expected to apply for a PhD at the University of Leicester after completing your Masters and to apply for a 3.5 year (full-time) or 7 year (part-time) PhD studentship from the Midlands4Cities Doctoral Training Partnership (supported by the Arts and Humanities Research Council).
To make sure your area of study is eligible, please check the disciplinary requirements of the Arts and Humanities Research Council funding.
For more information about the current Midlands4Cities Doctoral Partnership please visit Midlands4Cities Doctoral Training Partnership.
You will receive mentoring and support in developing your project proposal and writing your applications for both the PhD itself and the PhD studentship.
- A strong second class undergraduate degree or an equivalent overseas qualification*
- Standard English language requirements
- Scholarships will be awarded on the basis of the overall strength of the application - including consideration of previous academic attainment, relevant experience, references, and the personal statement
- Available to UK applicants only
- Available for full- or part-time campus based study (subject to availability)
- You must be able to start in the 2023/24 academic year
* or show evidence of achieving this before the start of the Masters degree
How to apply
- Apply for a Masters course with one of the schools listed above within the University of Leicester’s College of Social Sciences, Arts and Humanities and supply the relevant supporting documents for your application, including two references (including at least one academic reference), evidence of your academic qualifications, evidence that you meet our English language entry requirements (if English is not your first language), and personal statement.
- Complete the additional Masters Excellence Studentship application form. Your application form will be submitted to email@example.com. The Masters Excellence Studentships application form will ask you to include the following:
- A brief personal statement (1,000 words maximum) that tells us why you wish to study your chosen Masters course, how your previous academic and/or professional experience has given you the skills needed for postgraduate level study and how taking this course will support your personal and/or professional development plans.
- Details of the research area and theme which you would like to pursue in a future PhD programme.
Important advice for applicants
- Online application for study on a Masters programme to be completed by 12 May 2023.
- Masters Excellence Scholarship application form to be submitted by the deadline of 22 May 2023.
- Applicants who do not submit a fully completed Masters Excellence Scholarship application form will not be considered.
- The panel will aim to finalise the four successful applicants by mid-June 2023.
Informal enquiries are welcome - please contact Dr Isobel Whitelegg, email firstname.lastname@example.org.