The University of Leicester welcomes students from Mexico.
You can find country specific information here including entry requirements for our courses, and information about the Mexican student community.
Your International Office team
The International Office can provide you with more information about studying in the UK at Leicester.
Please visit our contact us page for details.
If you are graduating from Upper Secondary School with the qualification of Bachillerato you will need to complete a Foundation Year to be eligible for admission to an undergraduate degree at Leicester.
Please visit the International Study Centre website for information about the International Foundation Year or the International Year One for Management programmes.
Undergraduate (Bachelors) degrees
- If you are studying A-levels or the International Baccalaureate (IB) then you can begin from the first year of a Bachelors degree. Please see individual course pages for entry requirements.
- If you have already completed the first year of an undergraduate degree at a Mexican university, you may be considered for entry to the first year of a Bachelors degree if you have studied relevant subjects.
For more information about available degrees please see individual course pages.
Postgraduate (Masters) degrees
If you hold a Bachelors degree (Licenciatura) with a minimum average of 8.0/10.0 you will be considered for entry to a Masters degree.
For more information about available degrees please see the individual course pages.
PhDs and other research degrees
To apply for a PhD (or other postgraduate research qualification, such as MPhil, DClinPsy, DSocSci, EdD or MD) you must have a Bachelors degree (Licenciatura) from a recognised Mexican university, usually in a related subject area, with a minimum average of 8.0/10.0 (depending on the subject you wish to study) which is equivalent to a UK Upper Second Class Honours degree (also known as a 2:1).
You must also be able to demonstrate practical knowledge of appropriate research methodologies. Research degrees are demanding and intensive: to succeed at this level you must be highly motivated, be able to work independently, and have an appropriate familiarity with the discipline and its associated research techniques/methodologies.
Where a Masters degree is required, this is indicated in the relevant description on our Postgraduate Research webpages, together with further information about requirement.
English language requirements
Please see details of our English language requirements
Scholarships and funding opportunities
The University of Leicester offers a number of scholarships for new international students. You should also check in your own country whether scholarships are available for study overseas, from your government or other organisations.
- President's Postgraduate Scholarship Scheme
- FUNED: We have an agreement with the Fundación Mexicana para la Educación, La Tecnología y la Ciencia (FUNED) through which we offer scholarships worth a 20% discount in tuition fees. For more information, please visit the FUNED website. Students may combine scholarships from FUNED with a Santander scholarship.
- FIDERH - Banco de Mexico: We have an agreement with the Fondo para el Desarrollo de Recursos Humanos of Banco de Mexico (FIDERH) through which we offer scholarships worth a 20% discount in tuition fees. For more information, please visit the FIDERH website. Students may combine scholarships from FIDERH with a Santander scholarship.
- We have a limited number of University of Leicester Santander Scholarships from Banco Santander. These are worth up to £5,000 and are available for all one-year, full-time taught Masters degrees.
You can combine fee discounts from FIDERH or FUNED with a Santander scholarship. Please note that the Santander scholarship is deducted first and the fee discount is then subtracted from the balance.
You can combine a President’s Postgraduate Scholarship or College Scholarship with a Santander scholarship; however, it is not possible to combine a fee discount from FIDERH or FUNED with a President’s Postgraduate Scholarship or College Scholarship.
Visit our scholarships page for more funding opportunities.
We have partnership agreements with universities in your country, including:
If you are currently studying an undergraduate degree in your home country it may be possible to study with us for a semester or a year. Please check with your home university whether they have a partnership with Leicester or whether your studies with us could be taken as an accredited part of your degree.
Mexican student community
The University of Leicester welcomes students from all over the world. In 2015-16 this included 5 students from Mexico.
Discover what it's like to study at Leicester by reading our international student profiles...
Other sources of information