Advice on guardians for International/EU applicants

If you will be under the age of 18 when you apply to the University of Leicester and your parents live outside of the UK, the University requires that you provide details of a guardian based in the UK. Preferably this should be someone who lives in or near Leicester. The guardian should be an adult who the University can contact in case of an emergency should the need arise and can act in loco parentis.

The UK based guardian may be a relative or friend of your family living in the UK but you should discuss these responsibilities with them and ask their consent before providing the University with their contact details.

The University will only allow you to register once you have provided details of a UK based guardian. If however you do not have a contact in the UK who is willing and able to act as a guardian then there are a number of agencies who will, for a fee, make guardianship arrangements for you.

The Association of Educational Guardians for International Students (AEGIS) inspects and provides accreditation to guardianship organisations in the UK inline with current UK legislation.

If you do not have a contact in the UK who can act as a guardian then you will need to make arrangements to obtain a guardian, before completing and returning the under 18 consent form (PDF, 121kb) and include details of the guardian on the form.

Back to top