I am a Lecturer in Finance at the University of Leicester. I hold a PhD degree in Finance. My research agenda is related to financial intermediation corporate governance and corporate finance. I have presented my research at the prestigious conferences such as the Bank of England Conference. My working paper on the board of directors was awarded the Best Paper Prize (corporate governance) at the 4th Young Finance Scholar (YFS) conference. In 2019 My publication was awarded the British Accounting and Finance Association Prize and the British Accounting Review Best Paper in Finance. I am currently working as the principal investigator (PI) for a research project which has been successfully awarded the British Academy/Leverhulme Small Research Grants. My research has featured in the international leading journals such as the British Accounting Review and International Review of Financial Analysis
Principal investigator British Academy/Leverhulme Small Research Grants
(0) 1. Zhou, Y., Kara, A. and Molyneux, P., 2019. Chair-CEO generation gap and bank risk-taking. The British Accounting Review, 51(4), pp.352-372.
*Awarded the 2019 Best Finance Paper at the British Accounting Review
2. Deku, S.Y., Kara, A. and Zhou, Y., 2019. Securitization, bank behaviour and financial stability: A systematic review of the recent empirical literature. International Review of Financial Analysis, 61, pp.245-254.
3. Kara, A., Zhou, H. and Zhou, Y., 2021. Achieving the United Nations' sustainable development goals through financial inclusion: A systematic literature review of access to finance across the globe. International Review of Financial Analysis, p.101833.
PhD supervision: Currently work as the first supervisor for:
Gifty Brew Mensah
Essay on bank governance and supervision
Essay on Corporate governance and CSR performance
Applicants who have research interests in banking corporate governance corporate finance entrepreneurship and Fintech are welcome to apply.
1. Corporate Finance Module leader.
2. Foundations of Financial Analysis and Investment (Distant learning) Module leader.
1. Dissertation (Undergraduate)
2. Dissertation (Postgraduate)
Press and media
1. 2019 British Accounting and Finance Association Prize.
Awarded the 2019 Best Finance Paper at the British Accounting Review
2. Best Paper Award at the 4th Young Finance Scholar Conference Awarded by Professor Carol Alexander (Managing Editor of Journal of Banking and Finance) University of Sussex UK.
1. 6th Young Finance Scholar Conference 06/2019 Sussex United Kingdom.
2. IFABS 2018 Chile Conference University of Chile Santiago Chile.
3. Symposium on in International Finance 06/2018 Poznan Poland.
4. 8th Financial Engineering and Banking Society (FEBS) Conference 06/2018 Rome Italy.
5. 1st International conference on Banking and Finance 05/2018 Nanjing China.
6. 4th Young Finance Scholar Conference (Best Paper Award) 06/2017 Sussex United Kingdom.
7. Bank of England Conference “Financial Services Indices Liquidity and Economic Activity” 05/2017 Bank of England London United Kingdom.
8. 4th Paris Financial Management Conference 12/2016 Paris France.
9. Portsmouth-Fordham Conference on Banking & Finance-Journal Special Issues 09/2016 Portsmouth United Kingdom.
10. British Accounting and Finance Association (BAFA) Annual Conference of the Northern Area Group 09/2016 Loughborough United Kingdom.