My research aims to address how to improve the health and well-being of people living with chronic disease. The majority of my work has focused on the role of lifestyle (e.g. physical activity) interventions as means to improve physical function and well-being. I have also conducted research into investigating the optimisation of measuring physical function in chronic disease e.g. kidney disease and have an interest in clinimetric properties. I have received funding from Kidney Research UK Kidney Care Appeal Renal Association and European Renal Association- European Dialysis Transplant Association.
- Memory KE, Lightfoot CJ, Wilkinson TJ, Smith AC. A qualitative exploration of the facilitators and barriers to self-management in kidney transplant recipients. Journal of Nephrology. Accepted
- Lightfoot CL; Nair D; Bennett PN; Smith AC; Griffin AD: Warren M; Wilkinson TJ. Patient activation: the cornerstone of effective self-management in chronic kidney disease? Kidney and Dialysis 2022, 2(1), 91-105. DOI: 10.3390/kidneydial2010012
- Baker LA, March DS, Wilkinson TJ, Billany RE, Bishop NC, Castle EM, Chilcot J, Davies MD, Graham-Brown MPM, Greenwood SA, Junglee NA, Kanavaki AM, Lightfoot CJ, Macdonald JH, Rossetti GMK, Smith AC, Burton JO. Clinical practice guideline exercise and lifestyle in chronic kidney disease. BMC Nephrology [IF: 2.216] 2022, 23(75). DOI: 10.1186/s12882-021-02618-1
- Moore C; Santhakumaran S, Martin G, Wilkinson TJ, Caskey F, Magadi W, Gair R, Smith AC, Wellsted D; van der Veer SN. Symptom clusters in chronic kidney disease and their association with people’s ability to perform usual activities. PLoS ONE [IF: 3.24] 2022, 17(3): e0264312. DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0264312
- Wilkinson TJ, Ribeiro HS. Recognizing the importance of physical activity on sarcopenia in chronic kidney disease. Osteoporosis and Sarcopenia 2022, 8(1): 30-31. DOI: 10.1016/j.afos.2022.02.002
- Kanavaki AM, Lightfoot CJ, Palmer J, Wilkinson TJ, Smith AC, Jones CR. Kidney care during COVID-19 in the UK: perspectives of healthcare professionals on impacts on care quality and staff well-being. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health [IF: 3.390] 2022; 19 (188). DOI: 10.3390/ijerph19010188
- Wilkinson TJ, Lightfoot CJ, Palmer J, Smith AC. Navigating the COVID-19 infodemic in those living with kidney disease: access and trust in health information sources and the association with anxiety and depression. Current Medical Research & Opinion [IF: 2.580] 2022; 38 (1): 35-42. DOI: 10.1080/03007995.2021.1984221
- Wilkinson TJ, Lightfoot CJ, Smith AC, Khunti K, Zaccardi F. Association of ethnicity and socioeconomic status with COVID-19 hospitalisation and mortality in those with and without chronic kidney disease. Kidney International Reports [IF: 4.164] 2021. DOI: 10.1016/j.ekir.2021.11.040
- Mayes J, Billany R, Vasadzy N, Young H, Castle E, Bishop NC, Bramham K, Nixon A, Wilkinson TJ, Hamilton A, Saynor Z, Chilcot J, Macdonald JH, Picariello F, Greenwood SA. The rapid development of a novel kidney-specific digital intervention for self-management of physical activity and emotional wellbeing during the COVID-19 pandemic and beyond: Kidney Beam. Clinical Kidney Journal [IF: 4.452] 2021. DOI: 10.1093/ckj/sfab239
- Wilkinson TJ, Bishop NC, Billany RE, Lightfoot CJ, Castle EM, Smith AC, Greenwood SA. The effect of exercise training interventions in adult kidney transplant recipients: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised control trials. Physical Therapy Reviews 2021. DOI: 10.1080/10833196.2021.2002641
- Watson EL, Baker LA, Wilkinson TJ, Gould DW, Xenophontos S, Graham-Brown M, Major RW, Ashford RU, Viana JL, Smith AC. Inflammation and physical dysfunction: responses to moderate intensity exercise in chronic kidney disease. Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation [IF: 5.992] 2021. DOI: 10.1093/ndt/gfab333
- Lightfoot CJ, Wilkinson TJ, Palmer J, Kanavaki AM, Smith AC. Patient and staff experiences of remote kidney healthcare: lessons learnt from COVID-19. Journal of Nephrology [IF: 3.9] 2021. DOI: 10.1007/s40620-021-01175-y
- Billany RE, Vadaszy N, Bishop NC, Wilkinson TJ, Adenwalla SF, Robinsion KA, Croker K, Brady EM, Wormleighton J, Parke K, Cooper NJ, Webster AC, Barratt J, McCann GP, Burton JO, Smith AC, Graham-Brown MPM. A pilot randomised controlled trial of a structured, home-based exercise program on cardiovascular structure and function in kidney transplant recipients: The ECSERT study design and methods. BMJ Open [IF: 2.496] 2021. DOI: 10.1136/bmjopen-2020-046945
- Bennett PN, Kohzuki M, Bohm C, Roshanravan B, Bakker SJL, Viana JL, MacRae JM, Wilkinson TJ, Wilund KR, Van Craenenbroeck AH, Sakkas GK, Mustata S, Fowler K, Macdonald J, Aleamany GM, Anding K, Avin KG, Escobar GL, Gabrys I, Goth J, Isnard M, Jhamb M, Kim JC, Wing J, Lightfoot CL, McAdams-DeMarco M, Manfredini F, Meade A, Molsted S, Parker K, Seguri-Orti E, Smith AC, Verdin N, Zheng J, Zimmerman D, Thompson S. Global Policy Barriers and Enablers to Exercise and Physical Activity in Kidney Care. Journal of Renal Nutrition [IF: 2.929] 2021. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1053/j.jrn.2021.06.007
- Krase AA, Terzis G, Giannaki CD, Stasinaki AN, Wilkinson TJ, Smith AC, Zorz C, Karatzaferi C, Stefanidid I, Sakkas GK. Seven months of aerobic intradialytic exercise training can prevent muscle loss in haemodialysis patients: an ultrasonography study. International Urology and Nephrology [IF: 1.843] 2021. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s11255-021-02931-6
- Wilkinson TJ, Gabrys I, Lightfoot CL, Lambert K, Baker LA, Billany RE, Kanavaki A, Palmer J, Robinson KA, Nixon DGD, Watson EL, Smith AC. A systematic review of handgrip strength measurement in clinical and epidemiological studies of kidney disease: towards a standardized approach. Journal of Renal Nutrition [IF: 2.929] 2021. DOI: 10.1053/j.jrn.2021.06.005
- Wilkinson TJ, Gore EF, Baker LA, Watson EL, Smith AC. Muscle power and physical dysfunction: a model for tailoring rehabilitation in chronic kidney disease. Nephrology [IF: 1.749] 2021 26(10), 790-797. DOI: http://doi.org/10.1111/nep.13920
- Wilkinson TJ, Clarke AL, Nixon DGD, Hull KL, Song Y, Burton JO, Yates T, Smith AC. Prevalence and correlates of physical activity across kidney disease stages: an observational multicenter study. Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation [IF: 4.198] 2021 36(4), 641-649. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1093/ndt/gfz235
- Wilkinson TJ, Nixon DGD, Palmer J, Lightfoot CL, Smith AC. Differences in physical symptoms between those with and without kidney disease: a comparative study across disease stages in a UK population. BMC Nephrology [IF: 2.3] 2021, 22 (147). DOI: 10.1186/s12882-021-02355-5
- Wilkinson TJ, Miksza J, Baker LA, Lightfoot CL, Watson EL, Yates T, Smith AC. Association of sarcopenia with mortality and end-stage renal disease in those with chronic kidney disease: a UK Biobank study. Journal of Cachexia, Sarcopenia and Muscle [IF: 12.511] 2021. DOI: 10.1002/jcsm.12705
- Wilkinson TJ, Ashman J, Baker L, Watson E, Smith AC. Quantitative muscle ultrasonography using 2D textural analysis: a novel approach to assess skeletal muscle structure and quality in chronic kidney disease. Ultrasonic Imaging [IF: 1.571] 2021, 44(3). DOI: 10.1177/01617346211009788
- Lightfoot CL, Wilkinson TJ, Memory KM, Palmer JP, Smith AC. Reliability and validity of the Patient Activation Measure in CKD. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol [IF: 6.628] 2021, 16 (6) 880-888. DOI: https://doi.org/10.2215/CJN.19611220
- Wilkinson TJ, Lightfoot CJ, Memory K, Palmer J, Smith AC. Determinants of patient activation and its association with cardiovascular disease risk in chronic kidney disease: a cross-sectional study. Health Expectations [IF: 3.008] 2021, 24(3) 843-852 DOI: http://doi.org/10.1111/hex.13225
- Wilkinson TJ, Yates T, Baker LA, Zaccardi Z, Smith AC. Sarcopenic obesity and the risk of hospitalisation or death from COVID-19: findings from UK Biobank. Journal of Cachexia, Sarcopenia and Muscle Rapid Reports 2021. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/rco2.47
- Wilkinson TJ, Smith AC. Reply: Ad Hoc Measurements of the Anterior Thigh Muscle (Mass and Function) in Sarcopenia. Journal of Ultrasound Medicine [IF: 1.759] 2021. DOI: 10.1002/jum.15421
- Lightfoot CJ, Wilkinson TJ, Song Y, Burton JO, Smith AC. Perceptions of exercise benefits and barriers: the influence on physical activity behaviour in individuals undergoing haemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis. Journal of Nephrology [IF: 3.5] 2021. DOI: 10.1007/s40620-021-01024-y
- Watson EL, Wilkinson TJ, O’Sullivan TF, Baker LA, Gould DW, Xenophontos S, Graham-Brown M, Major R, Jenkinson C, Hewison, Phiip A, J, Smith AC. Association between vitamin D deficiency and exercise capacity in patients with CKD, a cross-sectional analysis. Journal of Steroid Biochemistry and Molecular Biology [IF: 3.785] 2021. DOI: 10.1016/j.jsbmb.2021.105861
- Wilkinson TJ, Smith AC. Physical activity and living well with kidney disease. Nature Reviews Nephrology [IF: 19.68] 2021. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1038/s41581-021-00398-3
- Billany RE, Vadaszy N, Lightfoot CL, Graham-Brown MPM, Smith AC, Wilkinson TJ. Characteristics of effective home-based resistance training in patients with noncommunicable chronic diseases: a systematic scoping review of randomised controlled trials. Journal of Sports Sciences [IF: 2.597] 2020. DOI: 10.1080/02640414.2020.1861741
- Wilkinson TJ, Palmer J, Gore EF, Smith AC. The validity of the ‘General Practice Physical Activity Questionnaire’ against accelerometery in patients with chronic kidney disease: a validation study. Physiotherapy Theory and Practice [IF: 1.624] 2020. DOI: 10.1080/09593985.2020.1855684
- Nixon AC, Wilkinson TJ, Young HL, Taal MW, Pendleton N, Mitra S, Brady ME, Dhaygude AP, Smith AC. Symptom-burden in people living with frailty and chronic kidney disease. BMC Nephrology [IF: 1.43] 2020; 21 (411). DOI: 10.1186/s12882-020-02063-6
- Wilkinson TJ, Gore EF, Vadaszy N, Nixon DGD, Watson EL, Smith AC. The utility of ultrasound as a valid and accurate diagnostic tool for sarcopenia: sex-specific cut-off values in chronic kidney disease. Journal of Ultrasound Medicine [IF: 1.759] 2020. DOI: 10.1002/jum.15421
- Watson EL, Major RW, Wilkinson TJ, Greening NJ, Gould DW, Barratt J, Smith AC. The association of muscle size, strength, and exercise capacity with all-cause mortality in non-dialysis dependent CKD patients. Clinical Physiology and Functional Imaging 2020. DOI: 10.1111/cpf.12655
- Wilkinson TJ, McAdams-Demarco M, Bennett PN, Wilund K. Advances in exercise therapy in pre-dialysis CKD, hemodialysis, peritoneal dialysis and kidney transplantation. Current Opinion in Nephrology and Hypertension [IF: 2.539] 2020. DOI: doi: 10.1097/MNH.0000000000000627
- Wilkinson TJ, Watson EL, Vadaszy N, Baker LA, Viana JL, Smith AC. Response of the oxygen uptake efficiency slope to exercise training in patients with chronic kidney disease. Kidney Research and Clinical Practice 2020. DOI: http://www.krcp-ksn.org/journal/view.html?uid=3841&vmd=Full
- Castle EM, Wilkinson TJ, Antcliffe L, Young HML. Renal rehabilitation services within the United Kingdom: protocol for a British Renal Society Rehabilitation Network survey of current practice and perspectives. Journal of Kidney Care June 2020. DOI: doi.org/10.12968/jokc.2020.5.3.120
- Watson EL, Baker LA, Wilkinson TJ, Gould DW, Graham‐Brown MP, Major RW, Ashford RU, Philp A, Smith AC. Reductions in skeletal muscle mitochondrial mass are not restored following exercise training in patients with chronic kidney disease. The FASEB Journal [IF: 5.498] 2020; 34(1): 1755-1767. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1096/fj.201901936RR
- Highton P, White AE, Nixon DGD, Wilkinson TJ, Neale J, Martin M, Bishop N, Smith AC. The influence of acute moderate-to-high intensity aerobic exercise on markers of immune function and microparticles in renal transplant recipients. American Journal of Physiology-Renal Physiology [IF: 3.323] 2020; 318(1): 76-85. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1152/ajprenal.00332.2019
- Wilkinson TJ, Nixon DGD, Hull KL, Richler-Potts D, Neale J, Song Y, Smith AC. Identification of the most clinically useful skeletal muscle mass indices pertinent to sarcopenia and physical performance in chronic kidney disease. Nephrology [IF: 1.913] 2019. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/nep.13678
- Xenophontos S, Wilkinson TJ, Gould DW, Viana JL, Watson EL, Smith AC. Peak aerobic capacity from incremental shuttle walk test in chronic kidney disease. Journal of Renal Care [IF: 1.216] 2019; 0(0):0-5. DOI: 10.1111/jorc.12293
- Wilkinson TJ, Nixon DGD, Smith AC. Postural stability during standing and the association with physical and cognitive functioning in non-dialysis chronic kidney disease. International Urology and Nephrology [IF: 1.692] 2019; 51:1407-1414 DOI: 10.1007/s11255-019-02192-4
- Gould DW, Watson EL, Wilkinson TJ, Wormleighton J, Xenophontos S, Smith AC. Ultrasound assessment of muscle mass in response to exercise training in chronic kidney disease: a comparison with MRI. Journal of Cachexia, Sarcopenia and Muscle [IF: 12.511] 2019; 10: 748–755. DOI: 10.1002/jcsm.12429
- Wilkinson T, Billany R, Lightfoot CJ, Graham-Brown M, Smith AC. 2019. Characteristics of effective home-based resistance training exercise in patients with chronic disease: a scoping review protocol. PeerJ Preprints 7:e27679v1 https://doi.org/10.7287/peerj.preprints.27679v1
- Wilkinson TJ, White EM, Nixon DGD, Gould DW, Watson EL, Smith AC. Near-infrared spectroscopy measured skeletal muscle haemoglobin oxygen saturation kinetics and exercise performance in chronic kidney disease. Clinical and Experimental Nephrology [IF: 2.100] 2019; 23(1), 32-42. DOI: 10.1007/s10157-018-1612-0
- Wilkinson TJ, Richler-Potts D, Nixon DGD, Neale J, Smith AC. Anthropometry‐based equations to estimate body composition: a suitable alternative in renal transplant recipients and patients with non-dialysis dependent kidney disease? Journal of Renal Nutrition [IF: 2.318] 2019; 29(1), 16-23. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1053/j.jrn.2018.04.003
- Wilkinson TJ, Xenophontos S, Gould DW, Vogt BP, Viana JL, Smith AC, Watson EL. Test-retest reliability, validation, and ‘minimal detectable change’ scores for the incremental shuttle walk test, sit-to-stand chair test, maximum leg extension strength, and cardiopulmonary exercise testing in patients with pre-dialysis chronic kidney disease. Physiotherapy Theory and Practice 2019; 35(6): 565-576. DOI: 10.1080/09593985.2018.1455249
- Wilkinson TJ, Watson EL, Gould DW, Xenophontos S, Clarke AL, Vogt BP, Viana JL, Smith AC. 12-weeks supervised exercise improves self-reported symptom burden and fatigue in chronic kidney disease; a secondary analysis of the 'ExTra CKD' trial. Clinical Kidney Journal 2019; 12(1), 113-121. DOI: 10.1093/ckj/sfy071
*Selected by CKJ as ‘Highest Altmetric scoring articles’ in 2018
- Wilkinson TJ, Watson EL, Xenophontos S, Gould DW, Smith AC. The ‘minimum clinically important difference’ in frequently reported objective physical function tests following a 12-week renal rehabilitation exercise intervention in non-dialysis chronic kidney disease. American Journal of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation [IF: 1.843] 2018. DOI: 10.1097/PHM.0000000000001080
*Selected as monthly article providing CME credit to readers
*Winner of Association of Academic Physiatrists Excellence in Research Writing Award
- MacKinnon HJ, Wilkinson TJ, Clarke AL, Gould DW, O’Sullivan TFO, Xenophontos S, Watson EL, Singh SJ, Smith AC. The association of physical function and physical activity with all-cause mortality and adverse clinical outcomes in non-dialysis chronic kidney disease: a systematic review. Therapeutic Advances in Chronic Disease [IF: 4.900] 2018; 9(11): 209–226. DOI: 10.1177/2040622318785575
- Wilkinson TJ, Gould DW, Nixon DGD, Watson EL, Smith AC. Quality over quantity? Effects of skeletal muscle myosteatosis and fibrosis on physical functioning in chronic kidney disease. Nephrology Dialysis and Transplantation [IF 4.085] 2018; gfy139: 1-18. DOI: 10.1093/ndt/gfy139
- Lemmey AB, Wilkinson TJ, Perkins CM, Nixon LA, Sheikh F, Jones JG, Ahmad YA, O’Brien TD. Muscle Loss Following a Single High-Dose Intramuscular Injection of Corticosteroids to Treat Disease Flare in Rheumatoid Arthritis Patients. European Journal of Rheumatology 2018 5(3), 160-164. DOI: 10.5152/eurjrheum.2018.17148
- Watson EL, Gould DW, Wilkinson TJ, Xenophontos S, Clarke AL, Vogt BP, Viana JL, Smith AC. 12 weeks combined resistance and aerobic training confers greater benefits than aerobic alone in non-dialysis CKD. American Journal of Physiology-Renal Physiology [IF: 3.611] 2018 316(6), 1188-1196. DOI: 10.1152/ajprenal.00012.2018.
- Wilkinson TJ, Lemmey AB, Clayton RJ, Jones JG, O’Brien TD. The ‘8-foot up and go’ test is the best way to assess physical function in the rheumatoid arthritis clinic. Rheumatology Advances in Practice [Rheumatology] 2018; rkx017. DOI: doi.org/10.1093/rap/rkx017
- Wilkinson TJ. Spinning exercise-induced rhabdomyolysis and AKI. Journal of Kidney Care 2017; 2(5): 245.
- Highton P, Neale J, Wilkinson TJ, Bishop L, Smith AC. Physical Activity, Immune Function and Inflammation in Kidney Patients: the PINK Study Protocol. British Medical Journal (BMJ) Open [IF 2.271] 2017; 7(5) e014713. DOI: 10.1136/bmjopen-2016-014713
- Wilkinson TJ, Gould DW, Watson EL, Smith AC. Commentary: Renal function estimation and Cockcroft–Gault formulas for predicting cardiovascular mortality in population based, cardiovascular risk, heart failure and post-myocardial infarction cohorts: The Heart ‘OMics’ in AGEing (HOMAGE) and the high-risk myocardial infarction database initiatives. Frontiers in Medicine Nephrology 2017. DOI: 10.3389/fmed.2017.00077
- 2016 
- Lemmey AB, Wilkinson TJ, O’Brien TD, Clayton RJ, Whale JL, Jones HSJ, Ahmad Y, Chitale S, Sheikh F, Jones JG, Maddison PJ. Tight control of disease activity fails to improve body composition or physical function in rheumatoid arthritis patients. Rheumatology [IF 4.435] 2016; 55(10):1736-45. DOI: 10.1093/rheumatology/kew243.
*Selected for feature in Atlas of Science November 2016.
- Wilkinson TJ, Shur NF, Smith AC. "Exercise as medicine" in chronic kidney disease. Scandinavian Journal of Medicine & Science in Sports [IF 3.025] 2016; 28(8): 985-988. DOI: 10.1111/sms.12714.
- Wilkinson TJ, Lemmey AB, Ahmad Y, Chitale S, Sheikh F, Jones JG, Maddison PJ, O’Brien TD. Can creatine supplementation improve body composition and objective physical function in rheumatoid arthritis patients? A randomised control trial. Arthritis Care & Research [IF 4.039] 2016; 68(6): 729-737. DOI: 10.1002/acr.22747.
*Selected for feature in World Biomedical Frontiers Arthritis edition 2016 for outstanding quality and impact.
- Wilkinson TJ. Commentary: Rheumatoid cachexia revisited: a metabolic co-morbidity in rheumatoid arthritis. Frontiers in Nutrition 2015; 2(37). DOI: 10.3389/fnut.2015.00037.
- Wilkinson TJ, Lemmey AB, O'Brien TD, Ahmad Y, Chitale S, Sheikh F, Jones J. Significant muscle loss following intramuscular corticosteroid injection used to treat active rheumatoid arthritis; a case report. Journal of Rheumatology & Orthopedics 2015; 2(2). DOI: 10.7243/2055-7000-2-2.
- Wilkinson TJ, O’Brien TD, Lemmey AB. Oral creatine supplementation: A potential adjunct therapy for rheumatoid arthritis patients. World Journal of Rheumatology 2014; 4(3): 22-34. DOI: 10.5499/WJR.v4.i3.22
Guest lecturer on the MSc. ‘Chronic Disease & Immunity’ course at the University of Leicester.
I am happy to be contacted to discuss work around my research interests e.g. multimorbidity chronic disease lifestyle exercise and physical activity sarcopenia and frailty