I am an Associate Professor of Psychiatry at University of Leicester and an Honorary Consultant in the Psychiatry of Intellectual Disability and Leicestershire Partnership NHS Trust. My research interests include psychiatric epidemiology autism and intellectual disability.
My research activities have included being chief investigator of an NIHR supported study on autism prevalence among adults admitted to acute psychiatric hospitals working with Professor Traolach Brugha (University of Leicester). .
More recently I have joined the team for the 2022 Adult Psychiatric Morbidity Survey funded by NHS Digital via the Department of Health and Social Care working with Professor Traolach Brugha and Ms Zoe Morgan (University of Leicester).
Other projects I have been involved in have included investigating the use of Brain in Hand among autistic adults working with Professor Rohit Shankar (University of Plymouth) and funded by the NHS Small Business Research Initiative.
(0) 1. Tromans, S., Brugha, T. (2022). Autism epidemiology: distinguishing between identification and prevalence. Progress in Neurology and Psychiatry, Vol 26, pp: 4-6.
2. Tromans, S., Yao, G., Alexander, R., Mukaetova-Ladinska, E., Kiani, R., Al-Uzri, M., Chester, V., Carr, R., Morgan, Z., Vounzoulaki, E., Brugha, T. (2020). The Prevalence of Diabetes in Autistic Persons: A Systematic Review. Clinical Practice and Epidemiology in Mental Health, Vol 16, pp: 212-225.
3. Tromans, S., Kinney, M., Chester, V., Alexander, R., Roy, A., Sander, J., Dudson, H., Shankar, R. (2020). Priority Concerns for Individuals with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities during the COVID-19 Pandemic. BJPsych Open, Vol 6 (6), e128.
4. Tromans, S., Chester, V., Harrison, H., Pankhania, P., Booth, H., Chakraborty, N. (2020). Patterns of use of secondary mental health services before and during COVID-19 lockdown: an observational study. BJPsych Open, Vol 6, (6), e114.
5. Tromans, S., Chester, V., Gemegah, E., Roberts, K., Morgan, Z., Yao, G., Brugha, T. (2020). Autism identification across ethnic groups: A narrative review. Advances in Autism.
6. Brugha, T., Tyrer, F., Leaver, A., Lewis, S., Seaton, S., Morgan, Z. Tromans, S., Van Rensburg, K. (2020). Testing Adults by Questionnaire for Social and Communication Disorders, including Autism Spectrum Disorders, in an Adult Mental Health Service Population. International Journal of Methods in Psychiatric Research, Vol 29, e1814.
7. Tromans, S., Diehl, B., Kiani, R. (2019). Association of temporal lobe epilepsy with gambling disorder in a patient with mild intellectual disability and autism spectrum disorder. Seizure, Vol 69, pp: 17-19.
8. Tromans, S., Chester, V., Kiani, R., Alexander, R.T., Brugha, T. (2018). The Prevalence of Autism Spectrum Disorders in Adult Psychiatric Inpatients: A Systematic Review. Clinical Practice and Epidemiology in Mental Health, Vol 14, pp: 177-187.
9. Chester, V., Vollm, B., Tromans, S., Kapugama C., Alexander R.T. (2018). Long-Stay Forensic Psychiatric Patients with and without Intellectual Disability: A Comparison of Characteristics and Needs. BJPsych Open, Vol 4 (4), pp: 226-234.
10. Tromans, S., Adams, C. (2018). Brief Report: Autism Spectrum Disorder: A Comprehensive Survey of Randomized Controlled Trials. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, Vol 48 (9), pp: 3228-3232.
I currently teach on the Integrated Care Block for University of Leicester Medical School where I am the Learning Disability Psychiatry Lead.
I am happy to be contacted on topics relating to psychiatric epidemiology autism and intellectual disability.
• Co-editor (with V Chester) of Advances in Autism Emerald Publishing (January 2022-)
• Textbook Co-editor (with R Alexander S Gangadharan and S Bhaumik†) of Psychiatry of Intellectual Disability across Cultures Oxford University Press (November 2019-)
• Theme Lead for Neurodevelopmental Disorders Leicester Centre for Mental Health Research (April 2019-).
• Rising Star Award NIHR CRN East Midlands Research Awards (November 2021)
• Alec Shapiro Prize Oral Presentation (£200) Royal College of Psychiatrists (October 2020)
• Alec Shapiro Prize Research Poster (£150) Royal College of Psychiatrists (September 2019)
• Highly Commended Paper Emerald Literati Awards Emerald Publishing (August 2019)
• NIHR Collaboration for Leadership in Applied Health Research and Care East Midlands PhD Travel/Research Prize (£323) NIHR (June 2019)
• Medical Trainee of the Year Award Registrar Category Leicestershire Partnership NHS Trust (July 2018)
• Alec Shapiro Prize Research Poster (£150) Royal College of Psychiatrists (October 2017)
1. Priority Concerns for People with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities during the COVID-19 Pandemic. Royal College of Psychiatrists Faculty of Psychiatry of Intellectual Disability Annual Conference. Online 7th October 2021.
2. My Research Journey. Academic Psychiatry of Intellectual Disabilities: Facilitators and Challenges. Royal College of Psychiatrists and University College London Online 19th May 2021.
3. COVID-19 and Mental Health. Pulse Live: Mental Health. Online 5th October 2020.
4. The Prevalence of Autism among Adults admitted to Acute Mental Health Wards: A Multi-Site Cross-Sectional Pilot Study. Royal College of Psychiatrists Faculty of Psychiatry of Intellectual Disability Annual Conference. Online 1st October 2020.
5. Psychological and Pharmacological Treatment Approaches: An Overview. Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) in Forensic Settings: Royal College of Psychiatrists. Online 23rd September 2020.
6. The Prevalence of Autism Spectrum Disorders in Adult Psychiatric Inpatients: A Systematic Review. European Psychiatric Association: 19th Congress of the Section of Epidemiology and Social Psychiatry. Vienna 5th April 2018.
• Doctor of Philosophy University of Leicester (2021)
• Certificate of Completion of Training in Psychiatry of Learning Disability General Medical Council (2021)
• Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (2018)
• Postgraduate Certificate in Medical Education University of Dundee (2016)
• Member of the Royal College of Psychiatrists (2015)
• Mentoring in Healthcare Organisations De Montfort University (2013)
• Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery University of Leicester (2011)
• Intercalated Bachelor of Science (Honours) [Research-based] University of Leicester (2010)