I studied by BSc Psychology and MSc Human Neuroscience in Royal Holloway University of London. I studied my PhD in cognitive neuropsychology in the University of Birmingham under the supervision of Dr Carmel Mevorach and the late Professor Glyn Humphreys. After working as an instructor in Birmingham, I arrived in Leicester in 2014 as a Teaching Assistant, then became Teaching Fellow in 2016 and took up the lectureship in 2018.
My research interests are quite broad and encompass the following which I would be happy to supervise topics on:
- Cognitive neuropsychology of visual attention and cognitive control (cognitive flexibility and adaptability) and its influences.
- Neurostimulation of visual cognition using transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS) and transcranial electrical stimulation (tES: tDCS, tACS, tRNS).
- Individual differences in cognitive abilities covering: perception, memory, numerical cognition, attention, and executive control in special populations such as bilinguals, gamers, patients.
- Computer game training and cognition.
- Cognitive and attentional control, memory and perception of those with subclinical tendencies of dyslexia, Autistic Spectrum and dyscalculia or psychosis/schizotypal in neurotypical populations.
- Coaching psychology.
- Pedagogical research in teaching large around assessment and feedback, group work.
(0) Tan, Y.-W., Burgess, G.H., & Green, R.J. (2020). The effects of acculturation on neuropsychological test performance: A systematic literature review. The Clinical Neuropsychologist.
Mevorach, C., Shalev, L., Green, R.J., Chechlacz, M., Riddoch, J., & Humphreys, G.W. (2014). Hierarchical processing in Balint's syndrome: A failure of flexible top-down attention. Frontiers in Human Neuroscience.
Apps, M.A.J., Green, R. & Ramnani, N. (2013). Reinforcement learning signals in the anterior cingulate cortex code for others' false beliefs. NeuroImage, 64, 1-9.
I supervise BSc dissertations, MSc and MRes dissertation projects, PhD and DClinPsy thesis projects.
Current and recent PhD and DClinPsy projects supervised/co-supervised
- The effect of acculturation on neuropsychological test performance (Main supervisor PhD completed)
- Cognitive components of foraging (Co-supervised PhD current writing up)
- Q methodology exploring attitudes about the use of puberty blockers in adolescents identifying as transgender/gender non-conforming (2nd supervisor DClinPsy project on going)
- Programme lead for BSc Psychology with Cognitive Neuroscience and BSc Applied Psychology degree streams
- Programme Lead for BSc Psychology (Intercalated) Degree for Medical Students.
- I teach in all three years of the undergraduate Psychology programme and contribute to MSc Psychology (Conversion) programme
- I teach topics in history and philosophy of psychology, research methods, studying and transferable employability skills, cognitive psychology, cognitive neuroscience, neuropsychology, atypical development, psychopathology.
- I also supervise BSc final year and MSc dissertations in a wide variety of cognitive psychological and cognitive neuroscience topics.
- I have also contributed to teaching on BA/BSc Creative Computing degree.
Press and media
Attention, Autism Spectrum Disorder, Cognitive Control, Neuropsychology, Pedagogy
- Member of British Psychological Society's Undergraduate Education Committee
- Deputy Chair of British Psychological Society's Coaching Psychology Training Committee
- Ordinary Committee member of British Psychological Society's Division of Academics, Teachers and Researchers in Psychology
- Associate Fellow of the British Psychological Society
- Chartered Psychologist by British Psychological Society
- Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Member of the Institute of Leadership and Management
- Panel assessor for University of Leicester PEERS Higher Education Academy Fellowship scheme (AFHEA, FHEA, SFHEA)
- Qualified coach and part of University of Leicester Coaching and Mentoring Academy
- Mentor on University of Leicester's Mentor Connect
BSc Psychology (Royal Holloway University of London)
MSc Human Neuroscience (Royal Holloway University of London)
PhD Psychology (University of Birmingham)
ILM Level 5 Certificate in Coaching and Mentoring