I have been teaching at the University of Leicester since 2005 as part of the Materials & Interfaces group and a lead academic at the Centre for Materials Research. My research is focused on electrochemical deposition and dissolution processes surface and interfacial structure. I apply techniques including probe microscopy acoustic impedance spectroscopy neutron reflectivity and X-ray to the study of electrodynamics and nucleation/growth processes at electrified interfaces of metals and other polymer based materials in novel ionic liquid solvents.
My work on sustainable electrochemical processing and metal finishing processes including industrial scale-up and commercialisation has produced more than 90 peer reviewed articles in the area (h-index 43) 10 book chapters and 4 international patents. I work closely with other UK and international academics and in pan European consortia with SMEs and large industrial companies.
I am also a member of the School Athena Swan committee which seeks to promote the monitoring and positive action on issues of gender balance equality and progression.
ORCID ID: orcid.org/0000-0003-2803-6884
My research interests are focused on electrochemical deposition and dissolution processes and surface and interfacial structure. In particular the study of electrodynamics and nucleation/growth processes at electrified interfaces of metals and other polymer based materials in novel ionic liquid solvents.
My research portfolio features grant funding from EPSRC Innovate UK the Faraday Institution EU Horizon 2020 and UKRI as well as Industrial research funding.
Some of my specific research interests include:
• Materials chemistry and surface metallurgy of aerospace alloys and castings
• Metal deposition processes using novel environmentally sustainable ionic liquids solvent systems
• Speciation at electrified interfaces; metal ion structure charge carrier equilibria and polymer dynamics using NMR ESR and XAFS
• Development of new tandem and ternary techniques for surface analysis and kinetic study
• Physical properties and characteristics of novel electrolyte systems
• Instrumentation development numerical signal processing data fitting and modelling
• Electrochemical and spectroscopic properties of electronically conducting polymers
(0) 'Gamma-phase Zn-Ni Alloy Deposition by Pulse-electroplating from a Modified Deep Eutectic Solution', C. Lei, H.F. Alesary, F. Khan, A.P. Abbott and K.S. Ryder, Surf. Coat.
Technol., 2020, 403, 126434
'Experimental Vizualisation of Commercial Lithium Ion Battery Cathodes: Distinguishing Between the Microstructure Components Using Atomic Force Microscopy', J.S. Terreblanche, D.L. Thompson, I.M. Aldous, J. Hartley, A.P. Abbott and K.S. Ryder, J. Phys. Chem C, 2020, 124, 14622
'Recycling lithium-ion batteries from electric vehicles', G. Harper, R. Sommerville, E. Kendrick, L. Driscoll, P. Slater, R. Stolkin, A. Walton, P. Christensen, O. Heidrich, S. Lambert, A. Abbott, K. Ryder, L. Gaines, P. Anderson, Nature, 2019, 575 (7781), 75-86
'Influence of Additives on the Electrodeposition of Zinc from a Deep Eutectic Solvent', H.F. Alesary, S. Cihangir, A.D. Ballantyne, R.C. Harris, A.P. Abbott, D.P. Weston and K.S.
Ryder, Electrochimica Acta, 2019, 304, 118
'Effect of electrochemical control function on the internal structure and composition of electrodeposited polypyrrole films: A neutron reflectometry study', C. Beebee, E.B. Watkins, R.M. Sapstead, V.C. Ferreira, K.S. Ryder, E.L. Smith, A.R. Hillman, Electrochimica Acta, 2019, 295, 978-988
'Electrodeposition of Copper-Tin Alloys using Deep Eutectic Solvents', A.P. Abbott, A.I.
Alhaji, K.S. Ryder, M. Horne, T. Rodopoulos, Trans IMF, 2016, 94, 104
'Deep eutectic solvents (DESs) and their applications', E.L. Smith, A.P. Abbott, K.S. Ryder, Chemical reviews, 2014, 114 (21), 11060-11082
'EXAFS study into the speciation of metal salts dissolved in ionic liquids and deep eutectic solvents', J.M. Hartley, C.M. Ip, G.C.H. Forrest, K. Singh, S.J. Gurman, K.S. Ryder, A.P. Abbott, G. Frisch, Inorganic chemistry, 2014, 53 (12), 6280-6288
I teach at all undergraduate levels to large first year groups as well as smaller lectures in specialists areas of Surface Chemistry Electrochemistry and Microscopy at third
and fourth years of the MChem programme. I also conduct small group tutorials at first and second year levels in all aspects of Physical Chemistry.
I currently teach the following modules:
• CH0061 - Introduction to Chemistry
• CH0062 - Introduction to Chemistry Practical
• CH1200 - General Chemistry
• CH1203 - Introductory Physical Chemistry
• CH2200 - Spectroscopy Theory & Practice
• CH2203 - Physical Chemistry
• CH2206 - Analytical Chemistry in Practice
• CH2207 - Polymer & Materials Chemistry
• CH3206 - Advanced Analytical Chemistry
I am happy to be contacted to discuss Materials & Interfaces Chemistry including the following topics:
• Electrodeposition dissolution and electropolishing and the use of novel environmentally sustainable ionic liquid solvents
• The study of electrodynamics and nucleation/growth processes at electrified interfaces of metals and other polymer based materials
• Metal finishing for aerospace technologies
• Novel and sustainable battery chemistry
• Director of the Centre For Materials Research
• Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
• Vice-President of the Institute of Materials Finishing (IMF)
• External examiner for Physical Chemistry Nottingham Trent University (2015-2019)
• Invited guest editor International Journal of Electrochemistry special issue “Ionic Liquids: Potential Electrolytes for Electrochemical Applications” 2012
• Invited presentation (and panel member) to the Windsor Energy Group House of Lords briefing May 2016
• Thirteen invited lectures throughout Europe and the UK since 2010
• Academy of Finland (Natural Sciences) invited overseas funding review panel member
• European Union registered expert assessor for Framework 7 (2010)
• Member of organising committee for Electrochem 2010 & Electrochem 2014
• Referee for many high impact journals including the American Chemical Society Royal Society of Chemistry and other independent publishers including Wiley Springer etc.
• External PhD examiner KaHo University Leuven University of Newcastle Loughborough
University Coventry University
• Habilitation panel member (external) Porto University Portugal September 2013
• Institute of Materials Finishing Award: Canning Bi-Centenary Medal 2013 (awarded for best practical paper published in Trans IMF)
• Institute of Materials Finishing Award: Westinghouse Prize 2016 (best paper published in
Transactions of the IMF that has shown the most valuable development in the science and
practice of electrochemistry in general and electro deposition in particular).
•236th ECS Meeting Atlanta GA (USA) October 2019
•255th ACS National Meeting in New Orleans March 18-22 2018 (invited lecture).
•232nd meeting of the ECS National Harbour MD USA October 2017 (invited lecture).
• Surface World March 2017 Birmingham (invited lecture).
• European Institute of Printed Circuits (EIPC) Winter Conference Salzberg February 2017 (invited lecture).
• Institute of Circuit Technology Harrogate Winter Seminar 2016 (Sponsored by GSPK) December 2016 (Invited lecture).
• ISE 7th Annual Meeting 2016 The Hague (Netherlands).
• Electronic Materials and Processes for Space (EMPS) Portsmouth April 2016 (invited lecture).
• European Institute of Printed Circuits (EIPC) Summer Conference Edinburgh June 2016 (invited lecture).
D.Phil (University of Sussex)
BSc (hons) in Chemistry (University of Sussex)